• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine Stand

Check the lbs rating for the stand.Standards are sometimes only 750 lbs and that is way to small.If it were me i would look at 2k lbs.The cummins is around one thousand lbs give or take.The backs are adjustable so if i read this correct there is not a "special cummins engine stand" Hope that helps.

After finally getting that costly jewel... you sure don't want to bung it up by dropping it! Be careful! Second the thoughts... not dropping it on yourself. Reminds me of pulling a GM671 with reverse gear & wet exhaust out of a lobster boat... so the owner could take it home to rebuild. The owner freed it up, put his chains on it. We carefully moved the boat into the lift pier by hand. We had an off road fork lift with 10 foot extended, 10 ft negative drop forks. Very handy as a sky hook for lifting engines out from under a cabin roof or flying bridge. We positioned a chain fall over the motor, the owner winched it up out of the engine bay. Once it was above deck, we hand walked the boat out from under it. He turned his truck around (a nicely restored late 60s Chevy) & we drove the fork lift over the back. The engine was about half way in when the chain he had on the reverse gear snapped! Most of the weight went on the tailgate. The tailgate had a big U in it, bent nearly to the ground & pretty much torn off the bed which was also damaged. Fortunately the engine fell between the people (including the owner who had a guiding hand on it when it went. (I bet he changed underwear.) We were so glad that it was HIS chain that broke & not our chain fall!! We picked it up again & finished putting it in his truck. When the engine came back, the engine was on a pallet & the truck had a mis-matched tailgate. The owner was a nice guy... tough break but it could have been worse.

I got to build the backing plate for it so it will rotate and I guess thats about it. Yea that stand that I copyed says it will hold big blocks.:lmao: If that little thing will hold a big block then this one will hold the the space shuttle.Thanks for the kick to get me going.:thumb1:

Another tale from the crypt... I had to pull an engine out of a twin I/O (Inboard/Outdrive) Bertam 25. As the parts came back, I wirewheeled them & primed & painted before reinstalling. I was worried about charging too much... thought the paint job made it look like we'd done more. I guess we didn't charge enough... the owner wanted me to pull the other engine just to paint it! I did what I could in place. Way too much work for a paint job. Many of you may remember the Mercruiser 120 hp (4 cylinder inline block used in the Chevy2 compact).