• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Are 01-02 Engine ECM's interchangable?

I acquired one from an 01 with an auto so I figured it would work on my 02 auto but just figured I would see if someone had a definate answer. I read on another forum that 01 was a cruise switch year from vacuum to electric and it may not operate the cruise if it came off an early 01 and to plug and play to see if the gauges work. No biggie as I can go to Dodge to get it reflashed if need be.Another forum posted that they are interchangable if both were autos.

I acquired one from an 01 with an auto so I figured it would work on my 02 auto but just figured I would see if someone had a definate answer. I read on another forum that 01 was a cruise switch year from vacuum to electric and it may not operate the cruise if it came off an early 01 and to plug and play to see if the gauges work. No biggie as I can go to Dodge to get it reflashed if need be. Another forum posted that they are interchangable if both were autos.

as far as the cruise control the 94-01 trucks its controlled by the PCM. I cant think of anything that would be different on the ecm between those two years though

I was under the impression they are vin matched.When i had my ecm problems i had a friend give me his and it worked but set a code that i cant remember.He told me if they are not vin matched it will happen and it did..I ran it for a few weeks with no problem.I never tested the cc. I have the program number for the ecm if you want to compare.

I know for a fct that VIN # is not an issue as I have a different one on my 02 already from Bob Wagner as the second download right after getting a smarty left me sitting along side a road in the country 40 miles from home with a no start. Smarty overloaded my ecm and wiped out the memory card. Bob overnighted me an ecm once we figured out the problem. It was marked as Auto trans only. OK Bob Wagner popped into the conversation over on Comp-D along with another who just tried the same swap only for 01-02 6 speed ecms and they wouldn't work but Bob said he just needs to reflash it to make them work. The engines will supposedly run with the wrong ecm but not all the gauges will funtion.

W/F What I found through my road of hard knoxs with ecm's is all 01 manuals will work, but you have a year in there that has a manual gauge and it will throw a cel. But what ever you do, that is if your on the side of the road in the dark at 3:00am, DONT pull the cap screw on top of the oil filter to check if you have oil pressure:doh: You will not like the results:lmao::lmao: