• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Got the compressor switched out.Any tricks in getting the serperntine belt back on as a 1 man job.Took both hands and 90% effort to get the tensioner back ........ don't think I could let go and adjust the belt in place at same time .......Will either need to get a cheater bar ....... a friend to loop the belt for me while I hold ...... or tie it down (ratchet or something) ?? How the heck ISX does it I dunno ....

must be the cheater bar - gotta go find something I can use

With a straight ratchet - I can hold it back with 2 hands - but don't think I can hold it with one very long :)

--- Update to the previous post...

lmao - cheater bar worked a treat - easy peasy

And FINALLY I have an AC vacuum that was HOLDING !!!!!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

I don't want to count my chickens ...... but never had that before ... so moral of story for me is

1) Clean up ALL dye - dont assume its OLD dye.

2) Have proper uv light and glasses - mine wasn't good enough

3) Have the right tools - cheater bar, socket wrenches, 13mm instead of 1/2" only etc

lets see ...... so excited ......

• Owner

Man... I think I'm going to be following you down the same path. :cry: After the second evaporator now and lost my A/C AGAIN! :banghead: Now you mention UV glasses where did you pick them pu at? :shrug: Because I've been hunt for my leak I've got a funny feeling the compressor is my problem... :cry:

Man... I think I'm going to be following you down the same path. :cry: After the second evaporator now and lost my A/C AGAIN! :banghead: Now you mention UV glasses where did you pick them pu at? :shrug: Because I've been hunt for my leak I've got a funny feeling the compressor is my problem... :cry:

The mechanic next door to me gave them to me. But any parts store ....... like http://www.amazon.com/Spectronics-TP8620CS-Opti-Lite-Detection-Flashlight/dp/B0021UZUT8/ref=sr_1_27?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1304616126&sr=1-27 http://www.amazon.com/Spectronics-TP8690-Cordless-Detection-Flashlight/dp/B0021V1YBU/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1304616093&sr=1-8 That with a smaller LED blacklight really made a difference. my BIG mistake was assuming old UV oil was from when ISX put it back on .... as I remembered seeing it. Some CARB/Break cleaner to wash that off so no UV dye and regas - sure enough it came back - so it was infact NEW UV oil :banghead: :):thumb1: I then picked up a compressor from CF for $78 shipped. There is a guy selling one right now from a puller (doesn't need AC for around $50 + shipping) .

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, from a non motor head prospective, has anyone ever tried a $24.00 3 oz can of A/C Super Seal from Wal-Mart? Have had retailers tell me that if the system is not leaking down within 2 weeks the stuff will work. Mohok

Hey guys, from a non motor head prospective, has anyone ever tried a $24.00 3 oz can of A/C Super Seal from Wal-Mart? Have had retailers tell me that if the system is not leaking down within 2 weeks the stuff will work. Mohok

I used one of the big cans of R-134a, oil, and stop leak last Summer. I intially overfilled the system and had to let some out but (knock on wood) the system is still cooling fine. It was FAR FAR cheaper than having the leak repaired. At least I can hopefully get more use from the system for and extended period until it craps out altogether. Then I will have to bite the bullet and have it repaired.

I would consider it if your happy that if it doesn't work you may have to replace a bunch of stuff. Like $1000 in my case. Cheaper if u do it yourself.Problem is it plugs up holes (I assume as its a leak fix) ....... so if your evaporator is good and your dryer - you might stuff them up - not high ticket items - but means more than just an ac compressor. Also would worry me with the orifice tube.So basically I did consider it a bunch of times - but as I had $1k in new parts and labor behind dash (and still a leak) I really resisted that temptation on advice from here and after 2 months of back and forth scratching my head - looks like it was my compressor leaking - so $78 from a wreck shipped and she is still cold after 2+ weeks ..... cross fingers.:thumb1:

Wow. Been refilling my system every summer for about 2 yrs. :doh: I know. I thought it was the low side schrader valve. Got a new one from napa and I think it leaks worse now, or I just eneded up installing an extra leak. Where did you get the uv dye? Any parts store? Glad you seemed to get it fixed. I have my dad's old set of gauges for R12. They do make adaptors for em right? I also have his vac pump as well so I figured I should tear into it and fix it right for once. ow do you check or make sure you have enough oil in the system?

• Owner

Wow. Been refilling my system every summer for about 2 yrs. :doh: I know. I thought it was the low side schrader valve. Got a new one from napa and I think it leaks worse now, or I just eneded up installing an extra leak. Where did you get the uv dye? Any parts store?

Typically most part stores stock it.

Glad you seemed to get it fixed. I have my dad's old set of gauges for R12. They do make adaptors for em right?

Just get the R134a hoses you're set...

I also have his vac pump as well so I figured I should tear into it and fix it right for once.

How do you check or make sure you have enough oil in the system?

Typically if you remove a part like the compressor you suppose to add back amount of oil to replace what was lost. Each part in the system will hold a certain amount of oil. Compressor holds the most.

Typically if you remove a part like the compressor you suppose to add back amount of oil to replace what was lost. Each part in the system will hold a certain amount of oil. Compressor holds the most.

Yeah should have said I added a small can of pag oil right before I added freon with dye ;)

• 1 month later...

Plan on draining the a/c and re charging. Do I need to add oil? Will it stay in the system or will it boil and vaporize when I pull a vacum on the system? If I need to add do I add the whole amount on the engine sticker? Thanks Tyler

I just added before I added R134a. eg Vaccum down Hold Vacuum for 30-60 mins Add PAG oil - eg http://www.amazon.com/R134a-PAG-OIL-CHARGE-OZ/dp/B0002JN2ZO Add R134a as per the sticker and mikes instructions on AC recharge. :thumb1: