• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

BHAF on Stock Truck?

Should a BHAF increase the performance on a stock truck, or is a chip required to take advantage of the increased air flow? I installed a BHAF, and the three MPG calcs have dropped 1 MPG. Could be normal "noise" in the MPG calcs, but after three tanks I expected to see some kind of increase. - djb

I'm running a stock truck also... still using stock air box. I did not notice any mileage increase with a (since disgarded) drop in k&n oiled element... or running the box with no filter element at all (as a test)! I went back to the OEM filter which gave the same MPG & nice clean air. That element is getting dirty now & I'm going to get a drop in Amsoil Nano Filter (since I'm not going to chip the truck).I did notice MPG differences in summer & winter... I suspect winter fuel blend does not get as good MPG. Also winter has longer warm up times with richer running. The cold front speeded warm up & seemed to help cold weather mpg. I just took it off yesterday. In my opinion, the enhansed air flow is needed for the extra fuel needed for higher hp... Russ

• Owner

1 MPG could be you lead filled boot causing that... BHAF should ZERO effect on MPG as long as its clean and not pulling the filter minder down. Chips should have ZERO to do with it as long as the throttle doesn't touch the carpet.Try something..."keep you boost below 5 PSI and Pyrometer under 600*F and I bet 20+ MPG will happen"Remember... Pyrometer will rise if you dumping large amounts of fuel to the engine. Boost can only becreated from large amounts of fuel. So if you keep both very low then you not burn much fuel arn't you??? LOL

1 MPG could be you lead filled boot causing that...

I considered that... To be honest, I have been pulling out from a stop a lil quicker than I used to, but not really hot doggin'. With this tank I'm gonna really watch, take it easy, and see if it makes a difference.

BHAF should ZERO effect on MPG as long as its clean and not pulling the filter minder down...

A BHAF won't increase MPG? What benefit is a BHAF, then? Just HP? And I've wondered that if a BHAF increases HP, then it might lower MPG. It would make sense that fuel economy and HP are at least somewhat inversely proportional, i.e., you gain one at the expense of the other.

Chips should have ZERO to do with it as long as the throttle doesn't touch the carpet.

Would not a chip make better use of the available air? I'm an absolute novice with chips...

Try something...

"keep you boost below 5 PSI and Pyrometer under 600*F and I bet 20+ MPG will happen"

Remember... Pyrometer will rise if you dumping large amounts of fuel to the engine. Boost can only becreated from large amounts of fuel. So if you keep both very low then you not burn much fuel arn't you??? LOL

OK, I gotta get me some more gauges. So far I just have a FP gauge. My cab looks like a Cessna, not a T-38. But I'll get there, I'm sure. Posted Image

- djb

The BHAF will last about 4 times as long as a stock 1st gen air filter. That is one less maint worry. With a filter minder there is no doubt when to change.If you don't run hard it, the mileage will be longer because a smaller volume is used on the high rpm.Unless you are racing and in the points - the first consideration is filtering.A boost gauge will work as a filter minder.keydl