• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Antifreese Conditioner?

• Owner

I`m a converted 7.3 Powerstroke Ford guy and one must add a conditioner to the antifreese coolant to stop pitting. Is this also required for the Cummings 5.9 24 valve diesel as well. Tx.

No need for additive just change the coolant every 30K miles... Now if you think you can extend this and get away with it I suggest you don't because as coolant ages it turn basic or acidic which at first will not change the color of the coolant but by the time you do see a change it too late.

So if you hold to the recommended 30K change schedule you block and radiator will look like mine in 5 years...

Posted ImagePosted Image

That was a 1987-1994 7.3 IDI thing. The cylinder walls were too thin so they cavitated easily. I don't think it was an issue on the 1994-1997 or 1999-2003 "powerstroke" 7.3's. It isn't a bad idea to add some if you want but nothing bad is going to happen if you don't, the cummins doesn't have cavitation issues.