• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New to forum

Hi folks. My 05 Ram Cummins has 130K miles and is starting to need a few things. The viscous fan is bad, tip off was no A/C at idle. With the A/C on and the engine cold, I can reach around and easily stop the fan. Wierd thing is I have no codes? Is that normal? I ordered a Auto Enginuity setup with expanded coverage, maybe there are codes lurking deep inside. I have the tools, 36mm wrench and a tool to hold the pulley. My fuel gauge occasionally sticks at 1/2 reading on fillups, I guess its time to replace the lift pump assembly. I really want to check my injection system. The truck doesn't have near the power it used to, runs ok, no missing etc, but simply lacks the torque it once had, plus some new black smoke. The Auto Enginuity should allow me to read rail pressure, and hopefully diagnose injector performance. With all this work needed, I ordered a 05 (as advertised) factory service manual on eBay with an instant download. But when I got it, I quickly figured out it was for an 04!. It showed the lift pump on the filter housing (05 is in the tank), and the procedure for changing the visous fan was obviously not correct for the 05. By the way, I'm a diehard MOPAR fan, I have a 48 DeSoto in the last stages of a frame off restoration. Since I don't have the correct 05 manual, if any of you guys have any secrets to reveal about the work I need to do, I'd love to hear them.Alan

• Owner

Ummm... How about getting what you want for a factory service manual here... www.pdftown.com As for the fuel gauge is the sender arm rubbing the tank wall by chance? It would cause it to hang up... Common Rail Cummins are known for injector failure. This is cause from poor grade of fuel filters and debris etching out the the injectors causing them to leak. Since all 6 injectors are pressurize all the time that means when it starts leaking it will start washing out the rings eventually... So the easiest thing to do is have the injectors pop tested and see if they are leaking. Yeah a bad fan would cause the A/C to trip out the high side switch and shut down. Oh yeah welcome to the site... :thumb1:

Good info. I tried pdftown and was able to download the .rar file, but can't open it. I have a .rar reader. Even though I'm using the password given (pdftown.com), I get an error saying incorrect password. I messed with it till I got frustrated and quit. I took my truck to the dealer for routine service three weeks ago. Part of what I had them do was an induction cleaning. Not sure if they did any diagnostics like a pop test, but they didn't tell me anything was wrong. The truck did perhaps run a little better, but not much. As I mentioned, I have the Auto Enginuity diagnostic tool coming, hopefully it will be able to do the pop test. The dealer must not have done much other than what I told them to do, they didn't find the bad viscous fan for sure. I also specified that I wanted the transmission gov pressure solenoid replaced, I've been having the 1-2 hunting problem for probably 40K miles. Its possible the float is hitting the tank. The unit has never been out of the tank, and its real erratic. Sometimes does it, sometimes not. Thanks for the input!