Mopar1973Man.Com LLC
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Five damper questions.

My vibration damper got gunked up from the puke bottle (did the mod) and my steering wheel vibrates at idle and I need to inspect it. Can the damper be removed by removing the 4 bolts that hold it? Or do I have to remove the fan and fan clutch. Do I have to mark it so it goes back like it came off. What should I use to clean it. Is it all one piece or two parts? Tx.

Yep just take the four bolts off and remove it no need to remove any other parts. There is no index for it as the engine is internally balanced it is just that a dampner, not a balancer. It comes off as one piece,its two pieces fuses together with a rubber center which should be in good shape if not replace it with a fluid dampner. Clean it with whatever you choose to as you won't hurt it any.

• Like 1

Start watching at 2:00, that's when I take the damper off.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmlPR4eYXYc&feature=player_embedded

In other words, yes it's just 4 bolts and it's off. Make sure you loosen the RPM sensor so you don't somehow damage it, though you should pull the damper straight off and try not to jar it from side to side too much. I use simple green to clean it, anything like that. It is one piece but theoretically it is two, but they are pressed together so it comes off as one piece (as I show in the video).

I don't know if you can get it off with the fan on (since I never tried it) but I think you can do it but you will probably have to do everything from under the truck. When you loosen the bolts, just put the truck in 5th gear as that will keep the engine from turning, if it is an auto then hmm.

--- Update to the previous post...

Geeez, I got competition these days :lmao: I guess I need to step it up a notch :evilgrin:

They are 15mm bolts and are torqued to 92 ft/lbs. The RPM sensor has a 0.049-0.051" gap.

• Like 1