• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

can you clean a dirty turbo???

I think I have a dumb question but here we go,I bought a 2002 quad cab great condition, got it home and looked at the air cleaner and noticed the guy before didn't put the top of the airbox on right and looks like it sucked in some dirt?Took the intake tube off and noticed some dirt on the turbo fins is there any way to clean it besides sticking a rag in between the blades, like some carb cleaner???????????

• Owner

Just remove the turbo from the engine (4 nuts) and the exhaust (2 bolts) don't forget the oil lines. Then you can pull the wastegate motor and then pull the compressor housing. Then you can clean it wel using part solvent and compressed air. But knowing the dirt is in the turbo that means the entire air system tubing and the intercooler are going to be filled with dirt too. So I would make a project out of it and wash everything up right.

• Owner

Problem is the spray cleaner will pool inside the turbo so next time you start it up you could have a run away or have the grid heaters ignite the vapor explosively likely do some engine damage. This why I suggest removing the turbo completely. The other problem is if you cleaning the turbo on the engine where do you think the dirt will go next? Most likely inhaled by the engine. So its best to remove it.

check for turbo play as well.But no anything you spray into there will also go into the motor, if those grid heaters turn ojn you could get a loud boom, or an explosion.Its wise not to clean it inside the system.

• Like 1

Not to disagree with my esteemed friends... if the dirty turbo is minor, possibly manually clean the fins? Remove the intake hose. Use rubbing alcohol on a clean shop rag to wipe every thing. Alcohol evaporates quickly (I was taught to clean Marine Electronics with alcohol & Q tip... unit off, after it evaporates, power up). You could use Q tips for the crevises. The dirt will end up on your rags, not the engine. This would not be a complete cleaning but based on what you get might give you a clearer picture of whether you must remove the turbo.