• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Sceems as if it does it louder when its cold.. Anyways whenever I push the clutch in makes a rattle noise. Asked around and someone told me my throw out bearing could be bad.. Thought Id ask on here see what you all thing... Next is 3rd gear is a pain in the ___ to get into using the clutch.. I can go thro all gears with out the clutch no problem but using the clutch seems as if it hesitates to get in there.. I got the south bend dual disk clutch so i thought maby that could cause it to be harder. Any thought would be appreciated

the noise while pushing the clutch in does sound like a throw out bearing to me. that might have something to do with the gears being hard to engage though i would think you would have that problem in the other gears also. i dont really know anything about double disk clutches.

Ah so best to get it fixed asap.. Would that bearing make and noise when under a load.. Sounds like plates rattleing when Im pullin a load and i get on fuel rattle a little while then goes away. Any ideas on that? Could it be the same bearing causeing all this?

the only time that bearing is underload is when the clutch is depressed. when you depress the clutch it is that bearing that engages the pressure plate, pushes the springs in and takes the pressure of the clutch disc or discs in your case. it should not turn except when the pedal is pushed. i have never worked a double disc before so i dont know any thing about them. could be something loose there. the rattle your speaking of do you have it a low rpm and it goes away as the rpm comes up?

once you get inside that tranny you are out of my league. ther are several guys here who would be alot better at answering those type of questions. i can replace one but i have never rebuilt one. that is a fair amount of work to remove, maybe we can get some one elses in put to help.

Before I replaced the front and rear seals in the trans, I was losing fluid and it started to whine a little bit. I filled it back up and all was well, although 1st shifted a little hard for a few thousand miles. Hopefully it has enough fluid. GM and Chrysler stock the NV4500 special gear GL-4 oil with the correct additives for the carbon composite syncros. Its expensive. Cost me $80 for a couple bottles, but the GoodWrench lube was cheaper than Chrysler by about 15/bottle. I haven't used regular GL-4 oil, but I have been told that it will mess up your snycros. A guy on Pirate 4x4 took his apart and made regular brass syncros for his crawler, but said that it didn't shift quite as well if I recall correctly.

ther are pros and cons about both. i got a manual because i had heard about problems with the autos. mine 6 speed lasted 9 and 1/2 years. theyquit making them 5 of 6 years ago, the nv's anyway. if i had taken better care of it i might have got a good bit more.

My clutch springs broke into little pieces and eventually it just gave out while I was sitting at a stoplight, it lunged forward since the clutch was now engaged the whole time and it killed the engine. I had to drive the 20 miles home with the clutch engaged the whole time, starting it in 1st and syncing all the gears.