• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dual Flow (bypass oil filters) Will the Baldwin BD7317 replace the LF3894 & BT7349?

I spent a half hour doing searches of this forum and found nothing. I thought I remembered a thread where this conversation was on going? :shrug: Anyhow, I am considering using the Baldwin BD7317 Dual Flow oil filters on our trucks (in my case a 2002 and 2001 HO Cummins B 5.9). The centrifugal bypass filter mod is on hold for awhile. Will this filter work safely? I read a number of posts in the Cummins forum that guys were already using them with good results. Any comments, suggestions, and better ideas appreciated. Thanks!

I saw his name and avatar in several threads covering this topic in my Google search.

--- Update to the previous post...

As best I can tell the Fleetguard LF3894 crosses over to the Baldwin BT7349. A lot of the threads I read through were guys changing over from the BT7349 to the BD7317. Just wanted verification from those who have actually done this.

• Staff

For a single filter system I gather they are good. They are not "rated" for the ISB in Dodge's, but rather for the Kubota refer units if I recall. No reason the flow is any different. I would personally call the Baldwin tech hotline and see if they have the same flow properties, and then you would have your answer. But I can't see 2 1-16" filters for the same motor having different flow properties.

OK,

Here is the data and info. I have been able to gather. I have uploaded the engineering specs. for both the Baldwin BD7317 and BT7349 below which also show oil flow rates for the BD7317. The engineer I was trading emails with said he had no flow rate data for the BT7349 but DID say that on the top end of pressure, the BD7317 would flow more oil and out perform the BT7349 if I understood him correctly. I will put in quotes his comments below:

But both of these filters are going to have similar flow characteristics on the lower end. You will notice a difference at higher pressures that will favor the BD7317. Neither of these filters contain abypass valve, so that should not be an issue.

[/QUOTE]

Since the Cummins B5.9 has a oil pressure relief valve built into the pressure lube system in the engine (in the oil filter mount head I believe), the lack of a pressure relief valve in the BD7317 is compatible with the 5.9.

With respect to size, dimensions, and thread compatibility the BD7317 and the BT7349 are for all practical purposes identical.

The full flow media specs. and properties of the Baldwin Dual Flow filters in my opinion are suitable for use on the 5.9.

The above having been reviewed I made my decision to place an order for 2 cases of the Baldwin BD7317 oil filters from BF Web Express:

http://www.bfwebexpress.com/catalog.asp

The case price comes out to $11.30 each. The shipping total for 2 cases was about $33 for me. YMMV by zip code.

I will give these a try at the next oil change and get back to this thread and post my observations, comments, and review.

BD7317.pdf

Baldwin High Velocity Dual Flow Lube Filters.pdf

BT7349.pdf

• Like 1

• Staff

Good info.So I wonder if the Beta 75 for 20um on the BD7317 takes into account the bypass portion or not?Based on that sheet its absolute at 20um, and 50% at 5um.. Pretty good for a full flow. For reference the Donaldson ELF7349/Amsoil EaO80 is 100% at 20um, absolute at 15um and 60% at 7um.

I am most interested in the soot removal and holding capacity of these filters. In particular, how much will the bypass portion (5 micron) of the filter hold before it completely becomes full and oil flow through this section of the filter media stops. How long this takes and how many miles are accumulated will be the telling figure especially if this filter will continue to fully function the entire 7,500 miles between oil changes good enough to extend the oil changes out to longer intervals.