• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

i have got what sounds like a wheel bearing going bad. a low pitched growl that increases and decreases with wheel speed only. it doesnt change with engine rpm. trans can be in gear or in neutral, strictly constant with wheel speed. i have jack up both sides of the front and theris no movement in the wheels side to side or top to bottom. It is a 4 wheel drive and i dont now much about the drive axles. all of the boots apear to be in good condition and nothing seems out of the ordinary. is there anything else up front that might growl liek that?

• 5 months later...

will cv joints roar when they sart going bad? i have never had a vehicle with them before.:shrug:

To answer your question here, not typically. When your cv shafts go bad they will usually start making a clicking noise around corners. As the wear increases vibration will occur. Another wear area here is the front drive shaft double cardan joint assembly. In between the two u-joints by the transfer case is a ball inside a yoke, its a constant velocity setup. It is not visible from the outside of the drive shaft. When these go bad though usually it results in squeaking and or screeching. Roaring is almost always wheel bearings and / or hub assembly.

Thats what it turned out to be. I replaced the hub bearing assembley a little while back. That fixed the problem. The whole thing was very much like our truck but on a smaller scale. No 5# hammer needed. A pulller did the job easily.