• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Scanner - Got an error code

Hi guys,

I ordered one of those bluetooth plug in obd II scanners and tried it out tonight. I finally got it to read and I came up with an error code. I'll include a photo I took of the screen, but it was: P0234 Turbo/Super Charger Overboost Condition.

Posted Image

Well, I think I just tripped across a list elsewhere on the site. Can someone confirm that this is the same code, as it isn't labeled the same but the number is the same.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/2569-P0234-Turbo-Boost-Limit-Exceeded

Next question: How worried by this should I be and is this telling me of a cascade of problems in front of me?

Thanks to all,

Jamman

Alright,I had worked on my profile but didn't see where there was a signature option. Hopefully this is of assistance.JammanNow you have me worrying a touch as I've done nothing to the truck other than the BHAF and an oil change. I want to flush and refill the radiator, drain trans fluid and redo that, change differential fluids, check on whether need to adjust valves. Doing my research and trying to save money to get gauges. Need trans temp and egt very soon, as this is a work truck and NEED to drag around a skid steer and supplies. Still learning where and how to install, how to route, etc. I am in construction, a small concrete contractor, so any suggestions on how to make this a great rig for that kind of work would be appreciated.Thanks

Ok, thanks. I'm glad to know for sure that I have wastegate issues. But what does that mean? Obviously I'll be doing some reading up on it, but is that what is keeping my mileage in the 14-15mpg range? Am I hurting something else? I'll have to see what corrective maintenance I can do to the wastegate, because I can tell you right now that I'm not sitting in a great position at this time to purchase a new turbo if I'm understanding that link that sometimes they have to be replaced as a unit.But anyway, thanks for the help and replies. I do appreciate it!

I thought I would make an addendum to this post for anyone that was in my shoes and learning. I just tripped across the page that moparman put up about gauges. Very nice. It's here at http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/gauges/gauges.htm and should help all us new initiates to the gauge world on these trucks to start getting things figured out. I just didn't know that when I bought this truck, I needed to have a grand to do gauge install, lift pump upgrade(insurance). I'm beginning to think it was a couple grand, and that's before performance upgrades I want to chase. I still love this stinking truck.

I thought I would make an addendum to this post for anyone that was in my shoes and learning. I just tripped across the page that moparman put up about gauges. Very nice. It's here at http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/gauges/gauges.htm and should help all us new initiates to the gauge world on these trucks to start getting things figured out. I just didn't know that when I bought this truck, I needed to have a grand to do gauge install, lift pump upgrade(insurance). I'm beginning to think it was a couple grand, and that's before performance upgrades I want to chase. I still love this stinking truck.

if it makes you feel any better i owned my truck for 8 years before learning any of this stuff about our trucks. i like you love mine and hope drive it another 10 years. i have still got alot to learn. but we are at the right place to learn.

Agreed on the sentiments, dripley. And thanks to everyone and their responses. I wasn't ignoring you, just crossing at funny times.Ok, so I need to break into my wastegate. I know nothing about those. I'll go do a search and see if I can find info on how to do that. I've misplaced or lost my Haynes manual(and it's really ticking me off!) so I am a little lost. But glad it's not a turbo issue!While I'm in there, anything else I should look at or clean, readjust, cross my eyes at, or anything???Thanks again for all the help,jamman

check out mike's write up on turbos on the main page. the turbo is not hard to take off, just be careful with it. i am not sure what operates your waste gate. mine operates off of exhaust pressure, but mine is not stock and i dont remember what operated my stock one. once you get it off it should be easy to see what is hanging up on it.

Thanks for all the advice, fellas. I will be very careful when I finally break into it. I watched some of ISX's videos where he breaks into the turbo (thanks ISX!) and am a little more scared/less scared all at the same time, but sure I can do it.

I'm not sure where the write up on turbos is on the main page. I went to the home page and looked around and looked in the general cummins info, and the 2nd gen 24V info, then info looked at the main headings of all the generations, but I'm just not seeing a write up on the turbo or wastegate. Where is that?

Thanks again,

jamman

--- Update to the previous post...

Wait, is this the link you were talking about: http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/turbo/turbo.htm

I didn't find it listed, only when I did a search for "turbo" and this was the first result.

• 2 weeks later...

I went out and tried to look things over. I took off the 4" line from the BHAF to the turbo intake. I did this so I could get a closer look at it. I took some photos and will attach them later. But see where the actuator rod extends from the round-I don't know what you call it-but the cylinderI'm guessing it's actually called the actuator. There is a small hose that runs from it to a fitting on the other side of the turbo that runs out to the intercooler. It is attached with what I would call a factory applied hose crimp. If I take one of these off and attach a fitting that I put my air hose on, then I should be able to apply pressure and test the wastegate, right I think I understand this part now.Please tell me if I have this wrong. Thanks

Ok, I'll pick up a new hose clamp and remove the factory one. Hopefully it isn't so old that it won't come off correctly and the hose doesn't go back on correctly.I need to stop and see what kind of fitting I can find to fit in there and hook the air hose into it.Thanks so much to all for the help