• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I feel like Tudor the Turtle

I just had the VP44 and the lift pump on my 98.5 Dodge replaced. At idle, the engine surges from 600 to 800 rpm and wants to die when the accelerator is pressed. The injectors have been bled once, the pump has been primed with the key trick once or twice and I am not sure if the APPS reset has been done. A friend is doing the actual work, he is a heavy equipment diesel mechanic and has never worked on a Dodge. I do trust his work mechanically. Am I right in thinking we need to reset the APPS, prime it a half dozen times and bleed it one more time?It's kind of funny, I have been reading on here for several years now and never had a reason to post. My old 92 12V just never broke down and I'm not smart enough to give a competent answer about these 24V's. I've been in deep do... every since my wife decided I needed a better truck and bought this piece of junk without talking to me. I would appreciate any suggestions you have. I do believe we're on the right track.:pray:There are no codes showing now that the pump has been replaced.Russ is probably the only one who remembers Tudor the Turtle.

Am I right in thinking we need to reset the APPS, prime it a half dozen times and bleed it one more time?

You can try resetting the APPS. If you need a new one search for Timbo APPS. Far as continuing to prime and bleed the system, if the truck runs then no, it won't do you any good. Like Michael asked, what is your fuel pressure and did you scan it for codes?

Before replacing the VP44 and lift pump, the error codes were 1693,0336 and 0216. We replaced the crank sensor. Not showing any codes now. when it first started dying, the truck would start and run perfect and die when I let off the accelerator.The last time it happened, when it finally started, it had a heavy miss, spitting and stuttering with lots of black smoke. Had to tow it to the shop to put the new pump in.

Still haven't installed the fuel pressure gauge, putting one in tonight.

--- Update to the previous post...

The parts place sent a 15 psi gauge because they didn't have a 30 psi.:doh: That's just my luck. We reset the APPS, primed it with the key several times and it seemed to run smoother for a while. In the end, it would idle rougher and die. It is also somewhat hard to start

The mechanic thinks an injector may be screwed up and flooding a cylinder. Any ideas about this?

My original post was wrong about the new pump, it was actually dying when the accelerator was released.

Now, after priming the lift pump, it will idle a couple of minutes before dying.

Still no codes with a good scanner.