• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Timbrens vs Air Bags - Revisited

Ok, I am revisiting this, as it is my current topic of interest.Cliff Notes:I got pulled over because I had a lens missing on my trailer, allowing "white light" to be visible. Upon further inspection, he deemed a number of other issues that 'need attention'...so, my trailer is 25' enclosed. Front has one marker light on each upper corner (forward facing) and one on each lower corner (side facing); no center lights on upper forward-facing panel.Rear has three upper-center lights but no outer upper corner lights (rear-facing.) One red each on rear lower side corners.Truck has no cab clearance lighting."Since you're in excess of 10000 lb gross weight, you need proper clearance lighting (5 on front-top-forward, 5 on rear-top-forward) and cab lighting." Cab lighting??"Additionally, your trailer is extremely tongue-heavy, and you need to either rearrange the loading, or take corrective measures in your tow vehicle's suspension to support the tongue weight."Thank goodness he didn't weigh my overweight trailer! LOLAs for the lighting, that's simple enough. As for the tongue weight, I can't really rearrange the load; the load-out is what it is.So moving on to the truck's obvious 'riding low' in the back, it's dropping the bumper about 3+" when the trailer is hooked up. I am seriously considering adding air bags (roughly $300), rather than separating the spring packs to add leaves or whatever. I'll be adding Timbrens to the front end, to carry the added snow plow weight this winter, but the rear suspension capabilities need addressed now.. Thoughts/comparisons/opinions on this Timbren vs Air Bag debate? Discuss.

I'm loving these airbags. I aired them up Sunday and haven't touched them since. Drives perfect, rides perfect, I see no disadvantages with them. The stock suspension is supposed to ride above the overloads, by a good bit, maybe 3" from each bump stop, maybe even more, not sure since mine is always so close to them. Anyhow I aired the bags up to get it back to where it is supposed to sit and now its absolutely perfect. If the bags go flat it doesn't even matter because it can still revert to the overloads. I can see the bags being an issue if you are pulling a huge load and they happen to go flat but as for me, I can't see anything being a problem. Even if they do break, not only am I fine as aforementioned, they have a lifetime warranty so really it's win win. I don't expect them to break anyways since I never go through any mud. I love how I can vary how high or hard I want it to ride. You can get the air compressor thinger with it but I really see reason to having it unless your like cajflynn who is constantly changing loads on the run. If you're like me, you know what you're going to pull, you air them up at the house, drain the air when you're done with the trailer. You can even take one of those 10 gallon air tanks with you since they don't take much to air up. As for timbrens, I have no clue so someone else can vouch for them.

Your going to get diff ideas on each fourm you go to. I run timbrens as do a lot of welding rigs. My weight is just shy of 11k and I like them. Pipeline welders have a lot to pull, there rig loaded out and the house on wheels can hit 25k. So if your on the road and blow a air bag and you have to test in the next state your out of luck. :2cents:

Thanks, guys, for your opinions. And jwelding, I fully understand the different answers I will get, depending on who/where one asks. As a welder, I can see that Timbrens are the better option, as your load-out weight rarely changes. Since I mainly tow on weekends, and my load weight changes (at least the tongue weight), I'm not sure which way is best to go.. I see that Timbrens are the less-expensive option, and the longevity/maintenance seems to be much better of an option.

• Staff

About the only time I see Timbrens working better is if you are heavy with a constant weight, the rest of the time the adjustability of airbags is worth the little higher cost. I have seen plenty of people selling Timbrens to buy airbags, but never noticed anyone doing the opposite.

thanks! Yeah, I'm so 'on the fence'.. The fronts, I can see me ending up with Timbrens, as the only additional weight I see up front is the plow in the winters. however, I tend to carry varying load weights/trailers at random times, so an adjustability in load support is crucial.Whatever happened to the 200-250$ air bag setups? LOL Now they're like 300+..ISX, are there pics of your air bags on here, installed?

There were air bags on my truck when I bought it over ten years ago and I have had NO problems or issues what so ever. I can level any load I have on and even a side to side problem. As long as there is nothing rubbing on a bag or a line they will last. How many semi's have you seen with blown air bags? That will give you an idea as to the longevity of them.

• Like 1