• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Installing draw Straw V, need help

I am preparing to install an Air Dog 100 in my truck in the morning and have to install the Draw Straw 5 in the tank as my truck had the in-tank pump installed. I spoke with Eric at Vulcan earlier today about this install, he told me to be sure to drill a hole in the side of the plastic cup at the bottom of the module, about 2"-3" up from the bottom. For the life of me I can't remember what size hole to drill. I have read the directions from Vulcan that came with the Draw Straw 5 and it doesn't mention this hole at all. In the instructions, one of the pictures shows a hole in this approximate location with an arrow pointing to it, but no explaination at all of what to do or what size.Eric told me this hole is necessary to keep from having the 1/4 tank issue.I have the tank out and am ready to install the Draw Straw and was hoping to start this project tomorrow morning early. Vulcan doesn't open until 12 noon eastern time so any help here would be greatly appreciated.Many Thanks,Bob

does the draw straw pull fuel from the tank or the fuel basket? i thought all draw straws pulled directly from the tank. in that case i do not know why you would need extra holes in the fuel basket. i just installled an ADII and the fuel pick up is in the basket and i had to drill 2 hole as i remember.

It draws from the basket or what I called the cup. The straw comes straight down into the basket. I called Eric at Vulcan today after reading some posts about people having 1/4 tank issues. He told me they have no issues like that if the install is done right, and right means drilling this hole in the side of the basket. 2-3" up. He told me the size of the hole, and I didn't make a note of it as I was expecting UPS at any moment and thought the directions would tell me. Wrong to assume anything....The directions say to drill a 5/16" hole in the top of the supply tube, but nothing about the hole in question.Where was your second hole at?

as i remember i drilled one or two holes in the basket to allow fuel in. i also removed the rubber flapper on the bottom of the basket to allow fuel in. i cant find the pictures and am not at home to confirm. the object is io get fuel in the basket so you do not run out. i dont think you can drill to many or to big to accomplish that.

Ahh, It looks like I am going to loose some time tomorrow. I guess I can work on mounting the Air Dog while waiting for Vulcan to open.Man, those instructions are hard to see. (small)I had to get my mad scientist goggles out to really see those pictures well.It's hell getting old. My body is broken down, can't half see. At least I can hear okay, lest it's my wife.

Thanks, Eric didn't say anything about taking out the valve in the bottom of the module. He just said that is how fuel got in. Looks awfully small to be letting in that much fuel.

Dripley is it me or are these instructions lacking. I am sitting here trying to absorb this and I don't know if I'm getting a headache from the small type, the jumping from page to page trying to follow the instructions, or the residual diesel smell on my hands after washing them several times....

--- Update to the previous post...

Dripley, also did you have to cut your filler tube for the return, or did the fuel come back via the old return line?

The instructions say not to remove the old return line, but supplied me with the filler tube hook up, and the directions say to install it.

I'm confused.

Oh, and one last thing. Did your tank have a green ball, about 1-3/16" in diameter floating in it? Whats that for?

Thanks, Eric didn't say anything about taking out the valve in the bottom of the module. He just said that is how fuel got in. Looks awfully small to be letting in that much fuel.

Dripley is it me or are these instructions lacking. I am sitting here trying to absorb this and I don't know if I'm getting a headache from the small type, the jumping from page to page trying to follow the instructions, or the residual diesel smell on my hands after washing them several times....

Dripley, also did you have to cut your filler tube for the return, or did the fuel come back via the old return line?

The instructions say not to remove the old return line, but supplied me with the filler tube hook up, and the directions say to install it.

I'm confused.

just so you understand, i am working from memeory and that is not as good as it used to be.

i installed an ADII. it came with a kit to get rid of the in tank fuel pump.

first i took out the intank pump. on top of the basket there was an outlet( or inlet i am no sure)that had a rubber cap on it. when i took that off there was no hole in it. my instructions said i could use it for the new fuel supply to the pump. i had to dill it out and that is where i connected the supply line using the enclosed fittings. the original return line from the block stayed the same and the return line from the ADII pump used original supply from the intank pump to the vp. so i did not have to cut the filler tube for the new return line. all of the return fuel fron=m the pump went back into the fuel basket. i like d that set up and thats why i bought the ADII. i dont think what you are doing wil be any better or worse, i blieve they will accomplish the same thing in a differant way. i do believe my instuctions told me to remove the rubber flapper in the bottom of the basket to allow more fuel in. and i am very sure i drilled atleast one hole in the side of the basket to allow more in( eassily could have been 2). the return line on the ADII, using the old supply line, just pumps mor return fuel into the basket, unlike into the filler line as your drawstraw.

bottom line to me is if your fuel pickup is in the basket, the more fuel that gets in there the better. i have heard of the 1/4 tank issue but have not experienced it. i put almost 34 gallons in my tank the other day and the truck ran fine untill i stopped and bought more.

vulca is good people and if you want to talk to Eric about, he want steer you wrong. you just need to get all the fuel to your pick up as you can.

unless someone is going to correct me, you cannot get to much fuel to the pick up for any pump to handle.:smart:

What's the green ball for?

Okay I have some answers. This morning Eric from Vulcan Performance called and told me that the hole in the fuel module cup is supposed to be 1/2". Problem solved.

Now, I had a question about a green ball I found floating in my fuel tank when I opened it up. I thought there were balls in all Dodge trucks but Dripley told me he didn't have one in his tank.

Has anyone else noticed a 1-3/16" green ball, in their tank?

Was the green ball just floating around in the tank?If it was then I think someone may have done your truck the way I did mine. On the filler neck the green ball is place in the neck to keep you from using a 1inch nozzle to fill your tank or from you being able to siphon fuel from the tank.! Hopefully Mike will let you know if I'm right!

Yes it was just floating around in there. I've never heard of a ball being used that way. Well, I guess I can reach in there tomorrow and give it a toss.I had also thought about opening up the filler neck where it ends in the tank. I tried to run a siphon hose in through the the filler hose (while the tank was off) to empty it and the hose stopped at the end. I wonder if it would hurt anything if I cut that out of there while I still have the tank down?

is there not a ball in the filler neck to stop fuel from spilling in a roll over situation? that might be where it came from. i have always been able to use the larger nozzles at a truck stop to fill my tank. sure is quicker.by the way RJC2. enjoyed the conversation the other night, but sure was pita going to work the next morning.

That is it.

I did take it out before putting the tank back on. The Air Dog, Big Line Kit, and Draw Straw are installed and everything is working. Fuel pressure us about 15 idle and 12.5 wide open throttle. I screwed up some vacuum lines and disabled my cruise control and air ducts for a while, got that fixed. I am glad that job is over. My wife is tired of me smelling like diesel fuel. She just told me to ask if there is a good way to get the smell out of clothing. (she has washed them twice and they still smell)

Mike you need to start a section for the wives. I can hear it now, "That man is always working on that #@% truck!"

Thanks for the help guys