• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Who tows a 5th wheel with their short bed?

Take your time. I just appreciate the help.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. He is a pain to get ahold of when you need to, :lmao:. The only measurement we could get since he didn't have the actual hitch head with him. The rails for his hitch are mounted by the instructions with the hitch. They have you measure from the rear of the bed forward. Open the tailgate and hook the tape measure on the bed and measure 28 5/8" forward, the back edge of the rear rail gets set there, then he used the hitch itself to mark for the front rail. His hitch is a slider hitch but he said he never worried about releasing it to slide. He did however put a small dent on hid old truck when he slid a little turning around once after he got caught in the rain. Hopefully this helps you out, if you need more info I'll see if I can talk him into getting his hitch and get some more measurements for you just not sure how long it will take.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. He is a pain to get ahold of when you need to, :lmao:. The only measurement we could get since he didn't have the actual hitch head with him. The rails for his hitch are mounted by the instructions with the hitch. They have you measure from the rear of the bed forward. Open the tailgate and hook the tape measure on the bed and measure 28 5/8" forward, the back edge of the rear rail gets set there, then he used the hitch itself to mark for the front rail. His hitch is a slider hitch but he said he never worried about releasing it to slide. He did however put a small dent on hid old truck when he slid a little turning around once after he got caught in the rain. Hopefully this helps you out, if you need more info I'll see if I can talk him into getting his hitch and get some more measurements for you just not sure how long it will take.

As long as his hitch sits what I think is to be normal, where his kingpin should be setting right in the middle of the rails. If that's the case then I can take his measurements and compare with mine. Thank you very much for the effort.

I just measured the rear edge of my rail to the end of the bed and it was 24 7/8". Strange that my rails would be farther back than your friends. Its a standard install too. My kingpin sit just about right over the axle. Maybe I'm more OK than I think.

I just measured the rear edge of my rail to the end of the bed and it was 24 7/8". Strange that my rails would be farther back than your friends. Its a standard install too. My kingpin sit just about right over the axle. Maybe I'm more OK than I think.

Yeah that is strange. I was always told before that the best place for any hitch like that was slightly in front of the rear axle which really isn't possible with a shortbed. I personally have never had any experience with a fifth wheel/gooseneck setup in a pickup truck, just semi's. It does make it seem like you are ok though. I agree with Mike, pictures would be helpful.

Yeah that is strange. I was always told before that the best place for any hitch like that was slightly in front of the rear axle which really isn't possible with a shortbed. I personally have never had any experience with a fifth wheel/gooseneck setup in a pickup truck, just semi's. It does make it seem like you are ok though. I agree with Mike, pictures would be helpful.

Yea, I understand that to be the case too, although the more I research this the more I hear of guys installing their hitches a couple inches back from the axle. Mine is, I believe, just about right over the axle. I plan on taking pictures of the trailer I'm interested since it doesnt seem like pictures of the truck hitch wold help since everyone knows my kingpin to cab measurement is 41", but the problem here is that I'm looking for newer used trailers so this isnt as easy as talking to a dealer. Most trailer sellers dont really care to help since they'd rather you just buy it and deal with the problem yourself. The problem compounds considerably when dealing with someone who has a trailer thats 300+ miles from me. There is/was a trailer that a dealer has/had in town but I've given up on that one since I think the kingpin measurements are to far off.