• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Looking for lost MPG

• Owner

My temps are running between 180 and 190. If my IAT sensor was bad would it throw a code or just out and the same question goes for the map sensor.

I've seen sensors fail within specs. In other words see a IAT sensor report 110*F when the manifold is actually 50*F so in this case there is no error thrown and the only way to detect such problems is using a live data tool like a ScanGauge II and monitor the sensor for normal operation. But if a IAT , ECT, or MAP sensor does fail out of range it will throw a error code and the :cel:...

• Owner

Hey mike heard you say this before - makes sense - how to check tho ? thx

Find you a quiet stretch of road where you can let the truck roll to a stop on it own without using the brakes. Gearing down with the transmission is OK just don't use your brakes till it stops. Then get out and check the temp of the rotors/drums by carefully touching them check for extreme temperature. Of course be really careful I've seen even mine being smoking hot... :duh: Don't go out and burn yourself.

My mileage has been pretty crappy as well. The OP is spot on what I was experiencing. Per one of Michael's post, I checked brake drag first, using one of the laser surface temp gauges they have at Lowe's. All seems well there. I decided to check valve lash next, truck has 170k now, in spite of the claim 99 and newer doesn't need them adjusted as a maintenance item. After reading ISX's article: http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/4209-Valve-Lash?highlight=valve+adjustment I decided to set them to .006 on the intakes and .015 on the exhausts. While doing those, I noticed the bolts on the exhaust manifold cylinder 6 were loose, and not just a little. They probably would have fallen out in about 5 more miles. So I re-torqued those. Took it out for a ride tonight, about 20 miles. So far it looks like one of those two fixed the issue. I'll keep an eye on it and report back when I have some more miles on it.

• Owner

About MPG going down... I would try using TCW3 2 cycle oil in the fuel for awhile instead.

Lower the cetane the more BTU's...

Posted Image

Summer Fuel dark green and winter fuel light green...

Posted Image

So the more cetanr booster you add the worse the MPG's will be... But the more 2 cycle oil you add the more MPG's will be... But there is a limit of about 100:1 ratio below that the fuel is overload in oil becomes way too smokey and the MPG's start to fall again because the fuel burns too slowly.

• Like 1

I would like to check my exhaust manifold bolts also. Do you remember what the torque is on the bolts? About MPG going down... I would try using TCW3 2 cycle oil in the fuel for awhile instead.

The book I have (Haynes) lists exhaust manifold bolt torques at 32 ft. lbs.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since adjusting the valves, and re-torquing the exhaust manifold bolts, I have been through two tanks of fuel. They made a difference of about 1/2 mpg. Wish it was more than that. My next plan of attack is to check the intercooler for leaks, then have the injectors re-built. Also wondering if the OP solved his problem? Still hunting?

A bad apps sensor will show itself with bad mileage. So will an old injection pump. Try a new apps sensor and I bet your truck speed up a lot and gets better mileage. They only last about 100k miles.

Thanks for the input. I will look into that. Checked IAT sensor, it seems to be operating correctly, apps next then.