• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Replacing headgasket soon...

I'm going to be replacing my headgasket here after the next payday or 2 and was wondering if anyone here has done it before? and if so got any advice/pointers? I have a pretty good idea of what all I have to do, my main area of concern is about checking the head for straightness and whatnot. I'm also planning on upgrading my injectors too while I have everything apart.Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I replaced my head gasket about 2 months ago, and there really isn't that much to it, just really time consuming. I spread it out over 2 weekends, one Saturday took it all apart and the next weekend put it all back together. Which I'd suggest so you can have it machined and checked while you have it out. No use in doing it unless you plan to have it machined and at least put new head bolts, buy studs if you can afford to do it. Just take your time, take everything off, and be sure to have a cherry picker handy to get the head off. You can get it off picking it up, which I did but learned my lesson, and used a picker to put it back. If you have any questions just ask, but its fairly simple to do. Nice time to adjust your valves, and if you check Mopar's site you can find all the information about valve adjustment as well as many other things that are useful to know. But if you have any other questions either post on here or google it and you can probably find it out, but I'm glad to answer anything I would know. Noticed after my post you even had a 12 valve, so this will be even more helpful to you, but I used it to kind of have a reference when doing mine, although I only looked at it once or twice.http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t=236843

• Like 1

should port your head as well, and maybe a valve job while it is out getting decked.that is my two cents. see when i do my head gasket in a few months i will be doing the same thing, lifting the head, and having it decked, and then im having a port and valve job done for the motor. this way when i put it back with my motor it is all done, along with head studs.

Read up on it before hand. Some of the odd things are rubber gromits under the cowl to get 5 and 6 pushrods out,and the return line in the back of the head. I did hg a few times it takes a long time. Make sure you note how it is now for the reinstall, The bridges have a little dimple on one end. It all has to go back the same way.

4 hands could for sure get it done. Good piece of information I forgot to mention that I found online is to take a piece of cardboard and cut it in half and lay over your newly placed gasket while lowering the head back in. That way you don't damage the new gasket regardless of how you put it back. Then after you get it sat down remove the cardboard one half at a time and set the back half on the peg then repeat for the front. Not sure if its really necessary to do but as much as I enjoyed doing it the first time I wanted to try and make sure it would be a while before I got to enjoy it again, and that seemed like a smart thing to do.

• Like 2