• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine died, now starts idles barley, and dead pedal

Buddy of mine has a 1999 2500 4x4 (I assume 1999 on the plate on the door says mfg date is 7/99).He was driving his truck working just fine, then it died suddenly at 70, now it will start runs real ruff, barley idles, and there is no response from the throttle (aka dead pedal).The check engine light is on, however the ignition key on/off 3 times does not display codes via the odometer, it does on my 2002 2500.My question does the 1999 display trouble codes via the odometer (digging on the internet some say it should some say it will not)?2nd any ideas / hints might be wrong with the truck ?I know codes are needed otherwise just chasing our tails but thought someone might have some initial thoughts. Truck is not drivable so going to say autozone to pull codes is out. Going to try and pick up a inexpensive code reader.Thanks in advance, Tony

The ignition key trick works only on 2000 through 2002 models on this series trucks. You will have to get a code reader and extract the codes. I will venture a guess that if you put a fuel pressure test gauge on the IP schrader valve. The lift pump pressure is dead or very low. The rough idle is very likely the IP in my opinion although the dead pedal can be caused by the APPS. Can you borrow a code reader? The other option is if your friend has towing on his insurance, he can have the truck towed to a shop and have it checked. I think I would try to find out what codes if any are latched first.