• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

DVD-RW just died...

Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Well gang my PC is getting it beating tonight. I been burning backups and such and started noticing that the DVD are like a near un-burnt state in the middle ring of the disk like the lazer is getting weak and just not burning the disk strong any longer. So now next time I'm headed to Boise, ID I'm going to stop by my old computer part dealer and see about getting a new DVD-RW drive to replace this one... Well I got to admit I got 5 years from it before it final got flakey about burning...

• Owner

I've got plenty of horsepower under the case but the hard drives and the DVD-RW are dying one at a time. I lost my backup drive back at Jan, 1 2012. So I ponied the backup over on my 1.5 TB drive to keep rolling. So now the DVD-RW died and cutting DVD backups isn't working no more...This is just the 2 computers... (Mom's is network into mine as well) the shop computer is not on during this time... so there is another 3 hard drives missing... :rolleyes:post-2-138698182378_thumb.jpg

• Owner

Here you go... Mopar1973Man's Command post that keeps the Mopar1973Man.com forum going...post-2-138698182383_thumb.jpgAMD AM2 5200, 4 GB DDR2 Ram, 1.5 TB and 250 GB hard drives (Mopar1973Man Power House)post-2-138698182389_thumb.jpgMopar Mom's workstation her computer down on the floor also another AMD AM2 5200, 4 GB DDR2 Ram, 500 GB hard drivepost-2-138698182395_thumb.jpgThis is where all the work gets done... :rolleyes:Ok back to the DVD RW problem...post-2-138698182401_thumb.jpgThis is the best picture I could manage to get but if you look at the data surface there is like a darker segment to it through the middle of the ring like the lazer got tired and no longer really burned the disk properly. Well I've tried a few different disks and all turned out the same way. I even open the drive up check the hub and lazer rack and it was all good little dust in there. But clean it all up and tired again... Still a bad burn... :cry:

• Owner

Since I still hold a account with my computer part vendor down in Boise, ID for computer parts and I still got my Tax ID number why not I can buy it at wholesale and just pay the taxes later... :smart:

So that what I'm up to tommorow I got to order a new hard drive to replace my blown back up drive which is currently ponied up on my storage drive. Also order the DVD-RW so I can burn backup...

Here is a snoop of the vendor I've got...

http://www.computercentral.com/store/

I'll take a look at TigerDirect...:wink:

--- Update to the previous post...

Well I might actual go with TigerDirect prices seem much lower than shopping with my old vendor...:whistle:

Since I still hold a account with my computer part vendor down in Boise, ID for computer parts and I still got my Tax ID number why not I can buy it at wholesale and just pay the taxes later... :smart:

So that what I'm up to tommorow I got to order a new hard drive to replace my blown back up drive which is currently ponied up on my storage drive. Also order the DVD-RW so I can burn backup...

Here is a snoop of the vendor I've got...

http://www.computercentral.com/store/

I'll take a look at TigerDirect...:wink:

Well I might actual go with TigerDirect prices seem much lower than shopping with my old vendor...:whistle:

I got one of these http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7030575&CatId=1624

I know it costs more but from what I can tell it's the cummins of drives. I haven't had any issues with it, seems very well made. I have a closet full of cheap drives so I figured 1 good drive is cheaper than several crap drives.

• Owner

I shouldn't complain I bought this last Phillips back in 2007 and it finally died in 2012... I think what keep them from dying fast is I burn at the slowest speed possible. Very, very rare to fail a disc. Yeah I was surfing tigerdirect last night and was droolin' all over the keyboard then Mopar Mom spoke up and said since we are snowed in you might as well get that stuff order and get the computer fixed... :smart:(More about the snow in my other thread)

I buy everything online. Sometimes you can get free shipping, that along with no taxes is a no brainer. Even with shipping, not having to pay taxes makes up for it and its at my door so no trip to town. If its under $50 on tigerdirect, then it will cost twice as much at staples after taxes, driving, and their gouging.

• Owner

I got to admit your right... The only bonus I had was I could buy at wholesale price and just had to pay sale tax next year. Or go to Staples and get it there and there is no taxes (Oregon is tax free) but they are high in price... So you got me sold I'm going to be ordering from tigerdirect.. Thanks guys...

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/tigerdirect.com free shipping coupon for orders over $50

I've got plenty of horsepower under the case but the hard drives and the DVD-RW are dying one at a time. I lost my backup drive back at Jan, 1 2012. So I ponied the backup over on my 1.5 TB drive to keep rolling. So now the DVD-RW died and cutting DVD backups isn't working no more...

This is just the 2 computers... (Mom's is network into mine as well) the shop computer is not on during this time... so there is another 3 hard drives missing... :rolleyes:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3417[/ATTACH]

Are those physical or logical drives?