• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Finally camming it right!

Stage 2 Colt should be here tomorrow. Got all the needed replacements for my selection of leaking seals from Regional International night before last. I may end up with a haul Saturday instead of getting it done when I first planned to but either way I'm excited!I was really tempted to do RV 275s at the same time with that cheap set for sale here, but I decided to see how much difference the cam alone is going to make first. Right now the '02 isb205 has a b215 cam in it along with the p7100. details linked in my sig.

Got the swap done and put about 35 miles on it. I took a little timing out too. I think I was at 16-16.5 before, now I'm at about 14.5 if I remember right - and if 3* is the proper correction for the pop pressure difference (stock ISB injectors fed by a P7100). Feels way slower off the line, not sure if I like that. Its still all there if i put my foot in it, just slower than it was. Starts a million times easier though. 15-15.5 is probably the sweet spot for my future reference. Got on it good coming back home once and I can still get it hot, but I think it's more reasonable now. I didn't bury the pyro, which I think I could before if I tried (1600). Need to get a load behind it and pull US15 N to really know if it helped me as much as I hope. Found and fixed a few other issues while I was in it. Think I have a couple weeping injector lines still to deal with, and I definitely have a big bubble in the heater core. Brr!! Fixed my shutdown solenoid bracket again for the third and hopefully for last time. All my timing cover bolts had been loose, that was probably most of the oil leak. All locktited this time around. Though I'd done that before but ???I had the motor pretty completely stripped since I changed the tappet cover gasket. Both fuel pumps off, etc... Took probably 15-16 hours total wrench time. Noon to midnight yesterday and 11-5 today with a couple food breaks. Big job...

• Staff

Gotcha, I wonder if Geoff has changed his grind any (specs still look the same, stage 1 intake with a stage 3 exhaust)? When I got mine 2 years ago the Stage 1 was the towing/bottom end cam with the Stage 2 offering a little better performance once spooled, but at about 50° higher EGT's. I actually have yet to find anyone running the Stage 2, plenty of 1's and 3's thou. The big stick is a well liked cam, but I wasn't ever able to find anyone who has towed with it and an exhaust brake so I didn't want risk too much back-pressure when braking.

My vacuum seems a little weak for my Banks Brake to actuate properly so I won't have a good before and after comparison on that. I want to get rid of the vacuum canister and actuate it with air pressure instead but haven't gotten around to source an actuator from Clippard or anyone just yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have some nontowing results from this swap, I picked up about 20% in fuel economy, I got mid-16s running ~73mph empty back and forth on I90 to Cleveland. I used to only be able to get that sort of milage at 60-ish, and would expect somewhere in the 13s at 75ish.EGTs when accelerating hard have not improved, but I'm pushing a lot of heat back into the motor since I haven't replaced my wastegate actuator yet and it'll get to at least 37psi on the HX35. I should get some towing miles in this week or next and see what sort of improvement it made there. Once it warms up I'll play with shortening the arm on the WG actuator I got and see if I can make it work right for me.

I pulled a bunch of timing out at the same time, and don't think I suffered much if any power loss... And the EGTs do climb slower. Towing my usual routes will really let me know what difference it made - whether I still have to pedal it by the time I make the summit of Bloss Mountain....