• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Finally long tow trip

Well i finally got to tow a good amount of weight than i ever do to Vegas from LA. Towed a steel enclosed car trailer that weighed in at about 10500 with the car. Now being steel wasn't the big problem but being that its got 8 ft ceiling inside was. Almost twice as high as the truck. Anyway the way there we averaged about 60-65 mph and about 50-55 on the steep grades. Kept the egts below 1100 going up the steep grades. Finally when we got to vegas had to fill up so hand calculated the mpg and it was about 9-10. Now on the way back topped off and weighed everything and came in at 16700. We had a crap load of rear axle weight over 5000 lbs and over 3000 in front. To much tongue weight. The way back hand calc mpg was 13.5 doing an evg of 55 and 45 going up the steep grades. I loved that if i wanted to speed up while going up the grades it can do it no problem.Is there any secret to towing alot of weight or even any weight and improve mpg. What i normally tow is a 1400 # trailer and 2600# car and its not an import. :)

I believe if you just read your own post, you have found they best way to save fuel. Your right foot. you got a 35%increase by slowing down 10 mpg.:thumbup2:when towing my 5th wheel I get right at 10mpg. That is running 65 every where the truck will do it and the road will allow it. 50 to 55 on 5 to 8% grades. lugged a little getting over the last part of the I 40 grade going to Asheville NC.last trip I weighed in a 22.7k and stand just under 13' tall.

You know I have not been out there for any event maybe I should take my boys out there I think they would enjoy some events! We always do the whole monster jam thing but not this year waited to long to get tickets nose bleeds 57 bucks! no way!

• Owner

Must remember wind drag is calculated from the frontal area you cutting through the wind. So measure the height and width compared to the height and width of just the truck. Then the wind drag is exponential from 55 MPH and up. So from 55 to 65 MPH wind drag doubles and from 65-75 MPH wind drag is now x4... Any speed from 55 MPH and below is the most efficient. I cross the scale at 16,080# GCW last summer... I'm 11'6" tall, 8' 0" wide and 52' long...Traveling at 50-55 MPH hauling over 7% grades... I still pulled off 14.1 MPG... :woot:post-2-138698184109_thumb.jpg

• Owner

MoparMan you teach for a living huh :smart:

:umno: I'm not a teacher... I'm not a ASE Certified Mechanic... I don't work Chrysler, Mopar or Cummins... I'm just a every day Joe like yourself that wants a good running truck... That's all... What I am is a Certified Computer Tech. (22 Years Experience), Firewood Hauler, Fire Fighter (6 Years), and now Search And Rescue (2 Years), Web Site Manager (5 Years). What I think makes it seem so easy for me is the all the years of working with logic chip and logic code. So when you working with diesel problem most times it can be answered by logic thinking.

:umno:

I'm not a teacher... I'm not a ASE Certified Mechanic... I don't work Chrysler, Mopar or Cummins...

I'm just a every day Joe like yourself that wants a good running truck... That's all...

What I am is a Certified Computer Tech. (22 Years Experience), Firewood Hauler, Fire Fighter (6 Years), and now Search And Rescue (2 Years), Web Site Manager (5 Years).

What I think makes it seem so easy for me is the all the years of working with logic chip and logic code. So when you working with diesel problem most times it can be answered by logic thinking.

COOL! Computers are not my thing for sure I know some but not alot. That is awesome you get to get involved in all of that.