• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Alternator

Well my Volt gauge is saying that I'm no longer getting 14 volts. Took it to an auto parts store to get a diagnosis &said it was the alternator. So I went to the good folks at Geno's Garage to hook me up with an alternator rebuild kit for my Denso. shipped to my door was a little over 40 bucks, as opposed to 150 or more. Should be here any day.Never rebuilt one, I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll pass on a piece of advice that one guy that checked my charging system offered, was to charge the batteries one at a time not in series. Just take off the negative cables. Don't want to replace these babies, one is 800 cold cranking amps & the other is 1,000 I slow charged them with my Battery Tender one at a time.

Michael,I have no idea why the batteries are not the same, they are the identical brand. It was not until the first guy doing the test asked me & I found the numbers. He didn't seem to even raise an eyebrow at it. Its been running like that since 11/03, or so.Next time I buy batteries I will pay close attention to that. BTW they are Autolight Premium Titanium. I've had my Cummins since April '08The rebuild was pretty easy really. Did it all in a few hours. The gauge is now where it belongs. Instructions, bushings & bearings were in the kit. Like I stated before, 40 bucks & change to my door as apposed to 150 for a reman.Mine had 180,000k so I could almost rebuild it 4x's for that money. The bearings were fine really, it was just the brushes that were used up. I'd do it again, a real money saver!Dave

I haven't had any issues with mismatched batteries. I have a Everstart MAXX Extreme yellowtop (which is the best battery I have ever seen) next to a 1000CA generic brand battery, and then I got those 2 paired with another 2 drycells in the toolbox. So I got mismatched, mistyped batteries all in parallel LOL Never had a problem though. 12volts is 12 volts. I know your "supposed" to use paired batteries but I have never understood why, all I hear are theories and as you see I haven't had any issues. But I would love to hear your theory! :thumbsup

At 180k a $15 set of brushes should have done it for another 100k :)For running matched batteries - I used to drive a Ford with a Cat hauling scrap iron. The mismatched batteries would self discharge over a week end when the temps were around freezing or lower, disconnecting the ground on 1 battery cured the problem. Best description was that the stronger battery charged the weaker and the heat of that made it much faster, then both cooled and the weaker had a higher charge so it charged the stronger battery. Back and fourth loosing power each cycle until both were dead.keydl

Never had any trouble, knock wood! Like I stated, both batteries have been in since Dec. 03!ISX,The Maxx batterie is an 860 amp. Why do you think that is the best one you've seen. Saw it yesterday at Wally World of 75 bucks. Not the yellow top I don't believe though. :confused: I've always had good luck w/ Interstate. That's the only batt, other that factory, that can fire up my Kubota in the winter when it gets close to zero F!Dave

The one I got is about 5 years old now, so maybe they dont care to make the 1000CA ones that I have anymore. I've been running this clusterfied setup in my truck for a year now without any issues. At 0f it starts just hardly slower than summertime temps, but I also run synthetic oil. I think I need to put on a bigger wire going to the starter since I bring several to a common point and then they feed just that stock positive cable. I don't think its big enough to deliver all the amps I have at hand.

Where would I be able to get an Everstart Maxx yellow top. That's the one your now running right. Anyone else have a favorite battery for their Dodge Cummins? Whats the life expectancy? Going on Six years on mine, that's why I'm asking questions! :confused: Dave

I guess there at walmart but I would only get 1000CA ones, if they still sell them somewhere, might have to ask around. Also, do NOT get dry cells, I dont know what their issue is but I got the red top optimas and they were complete junk in the winter. They dont have the power to crank a 0f engine very good at all. Atleast that was my luck with them. :confused:

i bought my truck from its first owner. he told me he did regular oil, but that was it(other than the rear end).i just had to buy new batteries 2 months ago, and i noticed that the old ones still a had mopar part #s. i think they were factory.long story short, wallmarts 1000ca x2 is the best value around here. had the 2nd highest reserve also. everysize for $75. just don't lose your receipt.

There is no problem when they are matched by voltage, at the time I did not have a digital voltmeter. The example has served to prevent problems since - I look for date codes within 6 months and verify the standing voltage an hour after 10 min of head lights on for a load. I often find 1 of 4 on a semi that is more than .2 volts down and they work better with 3 batteries than 4. One trip I smelled acid when opening the door, I checked and one battery was hot so I disconnected the ground for that battery. Next day that battery measured 2.2 v down - indicating a shorted cell - so it just rode back to the barn for 3 weeks. Not needed for moderate temps.I have modified several to use the 31C batteries from semi's because of the difficulty of matching voltage with a small number to chose from, taking a pair for a diesel or a single for a gas or using 3 for a boat and using the replaced batteries for cores keeps good starting power for the least money. Likewise on the parts.keydl

I replaced my OEM batteries last Spring... they've been weak for a year. I got away with it by plugging the truck in at night, but I knew it was time. I went to Sears & bought the best batteries I could find. I've had good luck with them.Russ

i bought my truck from its first owner. he told me he did regular oil, but that was it(other than the rear end). i just had to buy new batteries 2 months ago, and i noticed that the old ones still a had mopar part #s. i think they were factory. long story short, wallmarts 1000ca x2 is the best value around here. had the 2nd highest reserve also. everysize for $75. just don't lose your receipt.

Yep 10-4 on the pricing! I always go to the auto dept when the wife is shopping to check prices. Dave