• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

check engine light, intermiitant tach, cant scan codes

On the way home today, CHECK ENGINE light came on. Then a experienced a surging idle and intermitant tach signal. Plugged in code reader (Actron CP9180 and it can not establish communications with vehicle. I stopped by and tried another code reader and got the same results.What next?

Was your scanner able to comunicate with the truck?

Still no communication with the truck thru the DLC

--- Update to the previous post...

Went to the beach for the weekend, but before i left i picked up some backprobes for the multimeter so i can test Sunday

Just got done testing. At the DLC Connector: Pin 3 0.02 V Pin 4 Open, traced to DLC Connector using ECT2000 (Power Probe short chaser) Pin 5: Good Ground Pin 6: 4.98V Pin 7: 4.98 V Pin 11: 2.43 V Pin 14: 4.29V Pin 16 12V Will back trace Pin 4 from G200 Ground termination to DLC Connector to verify problem is the terminal in the DLC.

Driving down the road today at 45mph, 16psi fuel pressure: Lost tach, CEL came on and engine cycled between 600 and 1200 rpm. Pulled over and tach came back, engine smoothed out and idled normally. Still unable to connect with code reader.All overhead console functions are working.Radio WorksPulled abs plugs and still got same voltage to Pin 4

• 5 weeks later...

I had the idle issue in my truck for a couple of weeks off and on it finally threw a crank sensor code. I replaced it and problem has deceased since. When it my truck was idling at a stop light it would cut out for a split second and the tach would quit registering. Something maybe you could look at before you change out the expensive pcm.

• 4 weeks later...