• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Which fan clutch to get

• Staff

Fan clutch has gone bad and need to get a new one. Which fan clutch does a good job at a fair price? I don't want an electric fan. I drive the truck only 4k to 6k miles a year and the pay back in fuel savings, if any, would be seen until after I'm dead. I've check the price on Hayden ( $102 ), NAPPA ( $122 ), and 4-Seasons ( $143 they must be real proud of theirs). So what have you put in and how do you like it?

Grab a cheap one and move on... Rare for fan clutches to fail really. :whistle:

I would suggest staying away from the cheap auto parts fan clutches. As much reading as I have on these forums, the cheapo's have a pretty good failure rate. I know they're more money but I'd suggest replacing it with an OEM fan clutch. Far more reliable. Sure upfront cost is always an issue but if you have to replace it twice then your time is worth something too and who wants to be on the road during the summer and have their fan clutch quit.

I would suggest staying away from the cheap auto parts fan clutches. As much reading as I have on these forums, the cheapo's have a pretty good failure rate. I know they're more money but I'd suggest replacing it with an OEM fan clutch. Far more reliable. Sure upfront cost is always an issue but if you have to replace it twice then your time is worth something too and who wants to be on the road during the summer and have their fan clutch quit.

Most of the cheap'o parts are made or rebuilt in China, I can't trust anything made in China.

Like going over to RockAuto their cheapest fan clutch is $98 buck made by Hayden (5 yr / 50k mile warranty). Hayden is a good brand but still cheap... Then the expensive 4 seasons at $125 bucks... (1 yr / 12K miles) :rolleyes: Each their own... But I would buy the cheap one! :smart:

I couldn't begin to explain whats up with why the Hayden is cheaper.....unless Hayden also contracts with some cheapo manufacture to compete with themselves. Kinda like Coors beer and Keystone beer. Same company but marketed to compete with each other to capture more of the market. But no matter.....I wouldn't purchase either clutch fan because I would only look for a Cummins OEM clutch fan. Lifetime warranty sometimes just means "crappy but we'll keep giving you another crappy one every time it breaks".

• Owner

I hate to say but 90% of everything is made in China... So does it matter what brand of part you buy??? There is very little as far a companies that produce, assemble and sell within the US any more. Sometime the parts are made in China and assembled here and other times it all done over there... I can't count the time I find a name brand product made in China or some foreign land. Once again why I don't bother with name brands any longer... Sad but true...As for the Coors / Keystone well there is a small town of Whitebird, ID here in the state that happens to hold the biggest account for Keystone beer. :wow:

It definitely agree that most stuff is hecho en China and that most of their products are less than durable. The actual number is probably more than 90% too, which is the reason I DO pay attention and will always choose the American made product over the foreign version. Its staggering how many products sold in the US are not made here. That said, I'd hope that the Cummins fan clutch is American made. And what do you mean, Whitebird, ID holds the biggest account for Keystone beer? Are you saying that make it.....or drink a lot of it?

• Owner

It definitely agree that most stuff is hecho en China and that most of their products are less than durable. The actual number is probably more than 90% too, which is the reason I DO pay attention and will always choose the American made product over the foreign version. Its staggering how many products sold in the US are not made here. That said, I'd hope that the Cummins fan clutch is American made. And what do you mean, Whitebird, ID holds the biggest account for Keystone beer? Are you saying that make it.....or drink a lot of it?

Drink it... :party: