• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

hello all, I stubbled across this TC lock/unlock forum while looking for the answer to this problem, I have read all the patch fixes, etc. and this fix seemed like the most promising. I have a 2002 Ram 2500 Cummins, auto trans, about 120,000 miles. I cleaned all the terminals then removed the 140 amp Alternator fuse, the TC issue seems to go away as described with the alternator out of the equation. Then I removed the factory alternator and had it tested, on their machine everything passes, I then asked for the details of the test and noticed the AC Ripple Voltage was 0.2v, which I know is higher than the 0.1v ideal per this thread. I then asked to test a brand new alternator prior to purchasing it to see if its AC voltage was lower and it tested at 0.3v, so I did not purchase it and am basically stuck at square one. Any Ideas? Thank you, Josh

Read my post in this thread #94 on 11/17/2012. Was explained to me and I found to be true, to measure your AC voltage on the vehicle with everything hooked up due to the fact that the voltage regulator is external at the ECM. Unless you have the right kind of equipment (scope), a bench test will pick up all kinds of AC noise from the testing machine itself, flouresant lights and you name it. Read my post. It explains the dilema I went through before my problem was resolved. Still reading 0.0VAC on my 2001 Dodge Cummins. I highly recomend staying away from Remanufactured Alternator. Go New and you will have a lot less trouble. New from the dealer $217.00 with no core charge. I paid $239.00 for mine from an Auto-Electric Shop because I didn't want to wait a week to get one in from the dealer. I can't tell you how many hours of frustration I put into sanding grounds, running wires and wrapping with tin foil and such before I bit the bullet and bought a new alternator. Of course that was before I ran across this thread and Mopar1973Man! Thank God I did, or I would probably still be chasing my tail!!!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have fixed two trucks. Both had <.1 volts AC. On my truck,I disconnected polished and reconnected every ground and foil wrapped the ground over the alternator and relocated it. The other truck had very loose ground cables at the batterys. That truck I also did the foil wrap procedure because it was the cure of the day. Both trucks are doing fine 6 months later. Not always an alternator problem. Remember the basics

• Like 1

I have fixed two trucks. Both had <.1 volts AC. On my truck,I disconnected polished and reconnected every ground and foil wrapped the ground over the alternator and relocated it. The other truck had very loose ground cables at the batterys. That truck I also did the foil wrap procedure because it was the cure of the day. Both trucks are doing fine 6 months later. Not always an alternator problem. Remember the basics

True, lots of different things can cause TCL issues, bad grounds, bad electrical connections and bad battries being just a few. However, when TCL Issues are being caused by a severely damaged alternator (above .1 VAC), you can clean all the grounds, electrical connetions and tin foil all the wires you want to, but it won't cure the problem. Beeen there done that, Mopar1973Man was right about this one. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
  • Like 1

True, lots of different things can cause TCL issues, bad grounds, bad electrical connections and bad battries being just a few. However, when TCL Issues are being caused by a severely damaged alternator (above .1 VAC), you can clean all the grounds, electrical connetions and tin foil all the wires you want to, but it won't cure the problem. Beeen there done that, Mopar1973Man was right about this one. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Since I put the battery shims in and tightened the cables and cleaned the pcm ground I have not had any issues. my alt is still putting out around 30 VAC. I can hear the bearings are getting a little growly so it may have to be replaced this year. 275,000 miles and it is still the original alternator.
  • Like 1

• Owner

my alt is still putting out around 30 VAC.

I would get that alternator changed soon... :duh: Nothing in the vehicle is designed for 30 Volts AC or even 30 volts DC... You asking to do damage to the electronics of the truck. The only thing that keeping in some check is the batteries. But I highly suggest you get that replaced ASAP!
  • Like 1

I would get that alternator changed soon... :duh: Nothing in the vehicle is designed for 30 Volts AC or even 30 volts DC... You asking to do damage to the electronics of the truck. The only thing that keeping in some check is the batteries. But I highly suggest you get that replaced ASAP!

I'm going to check it again tomorrow just to see. Refresh my memory; how do I check it with the voltmeter? Thanks!

Bad diodes that will cause the 30vac also will sometimes cause the alternator to howl that to some folks sounds like bearings

Well guess what?!?!? I tested it just now and it throws 31.4 VAC. Then when I get that bearing sound it goes down to 27.5 VAC or so. Interesting.... I'll have to start looking for a new alternator I guess. VDC it is at 14.5 or so. However I didn't check to see what it was when it makes the noise.

How can a diode make a noise? The alternator is made up of a stator (3 seperate windings) 6 diodes( 1+ & 1- for each stator winding) & the rotor winding that spins and controls output (control depends on amperage sent to the rotor by the regulator) OK, one winding has poor or no output (winding failure or bad diode) Think of it as a 3 cylinder engine. 2 cyl firing & 1 not firing, Will it shake? Yes That is what makes the noise (imbalance of power)

It is definitely not working like it should. There is a shop that has a 160 amp for 145.00. 1 year warranty and they will throw it on the bench to show me there are no VAC coming from it. Should I keep looking for a 180 or is 160 good enough?Thanks!Sent from my torqued out reuterbender

• 1 month later...

Hello Guys,Yesterday on the way to work it was hunting in and out of 4th etc. On the way home all is well. This morning, hunting in and out of 4 so I kicked it out of OD and its hunting in and out 3 and lock or second, who knows. I brought my multimeter this am and tested my AC while it was running before I shut it of. It was at .05. When I tested it yesterday it was at .02 to .04. My Scangauge picked up a 1682 code. (My first one ever)I'm not sure from yesterday or this am. I'm thinking my alternator is just done. Thoughts??

Well guess what?!?!? I tested it just now and it throws 31.4 VAC. Then when I get that bearing sound it goes down to 27.5 VAC or so. Interesting.... I'll have to start looking for a new alternator I guess. VDC it is at 14.5 or so. However I didn't check to see what it was when it makes the noise.

I would STRONGLY recommend not to run the truck again until the alternator is fixed... Or at least only run it on batteries. 20VAC spikes WILL kill your ECM, PCM, VP44 controller and just about every computer on the truck... including your chip. You are looking at potentially $3000 of fixes here that won't pop up immediately... They will lurk and burn out slowly. I know because i've been down that road. Don't look for an alternator, go get one and put it on. I had 18-20V spikes and two VP44s, an ECM, and 3 Juice modules later... I figured out what was going on. :doh:

Hey guys, new here. I have a built 47RE by Source Auto in Clackamas, OR. I don't have a 4th gear lock/unlock problem, but a surging problem right when it goes into lockup. Did it with old transmission and new built one. It really started happening when I put in DAP 150hp injectors. Basically it will lock up way too early sometimes with OD off into 3rd gear and buck. It does it everytime, and even in 4th. Just wanted to make sure my alt was good.

So I guess my question is, where do you measure the VAC, at the alternator or batteries? I just have some cheapy Innova DMM. It has the same symbol that Moparman showed in his video, but has 2 options...200 or 500.

I tried measuring at batteries and alternator and even with engine off I get 25.6 VAC. Even when I unplugged the wiring harness at alternator it's the same.

Doing something wrong, or do I need to borrow someones Fluke?

- - - Updated - - -

Think it might be my meter (Innova 3310). I just tested my laptop charger that's supposed to be 19.5v, showed 42v. Just for fun tried AAA 1.5v battery, showed 1.32V DC and almost 2.8v AC? :doh: