• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Was gonna adjust my valves when...

that same thing happened to me :smart if you tap the ratchet with a hammer(try to imulate a impact hammer) you can get the nut tight without turning the motor. it kept coming loose every couple of turn so between the love taps to tighten it i then had a buddy grab the water pump pulley and help spin. it seemed to take a little bit off the alternator.

Yep,Get out the 1/2 inch impact, when I did a rebuild on my alt. that's what I used, worked great. If you like working on these trucks, you're going to have to get an air compressor w/ all the toys if you don't already have one. I got the biggest one I could afford, a real time saver. When I did replace my ball joints, I could have almost used a 3/4 gun, would have been a little easier.Good idea on using the water pump to help turn, sometimes you gotta improvise!Dave

Thanks for the tips guys! I ended up going to a friends house who has a big air compressor setup. Pays to have friends with the right toys. :thumbsup Just a quick note for you Mike, excellent writeup on doing a valve job, just thought you might want to add that the size allen wrench you need is 5mm. Not trying to be smart, just thought it might make it easier for some people :confused:

i did my adjustment a couple of weeks ago and i had 3 that were out of spec, and like another 6 that barely meet cummins wide area of forgiveness. after i did the lash i started it up and noticed that my tach no longer bounced at idle. it use to bounce ever so slight(maybe 700-800). now it stays in one spot unless i kick on the ac. no difference in sound but i'm on a 2stroke diet so maybe i just couldn't notice?

These are great trucks to enjoy, learn, & work on. I just the improvements every time I do just that. So how did the valve adj. work out? Did you notice much an improvement? Any quieter? I did on mine!

After I fixed the alternator it went really good, amazing how tiny a move of that set screw makes such a big difference on the adjustment! It was quite a bit quieter on startup, kinda expected it to be as some of the valves were WAY out. Truck has 164k on it and this was the first time it was done, still catching up on the lack of maintainence from the previous owner. Now I just need to track a friend down to help me install my AD 100 as I'm not quite brave enough to attempt it on my own, although for all you guys who have done one before, is it really all that difficult an install??

• Owner

Now I just need to track a friend down to help me install my AD 100 as I'm not quite brave enough to attempt it on my own, although for all you guys who have done one before, is it really all that difficult an install??

Its rather easy to do... Basically your mounting the AD 100 under the truck, hook u pthe electrical (all plug n' play stuff). Then route all the hose and hook up the fittings! Now if you had a AD 150 you might be more into getting help being the fuel tank got to come out...

Its rather easy to do... Basically your mounting the AD 100 under the truck, hook u pthe electrical (all plug n' play stuff). Then route all the hose and hook up the fittings! Now if you had a AD 150 you might be more into getting help being the fuel tank got to come out...

Quick question for ya Mike, now that I've really started looking at it, I'd like that 90 degree bracket you got for your AD. But seeing as how I bought the pump from Vulcan Performance not Pureflow, can I still call up Vulcan and swap for the other bracket?? And also does that bracket just attach to the frame?, cause it looks almost as though it hooks to the T-case as well from that picture you got??

• Owner

Quick question for ya Mike, now that I've really started looking at it, I'd like that 90 degree bracket you got for your AD. But seeing as how I bought the pump from Vulcan Performance not Pureflow, can I still call up Vulcan and swap for the other bracket?? And also does that bracket just attach to the frame?, cause it looks almost as though it hooks to the T-case as well from that picture you got??

Here is another pic of the bracket but remember the mount on this pic broken the weld. I ordered the other braket and wasn't happy so I re-welded the bracket and used it again...:rolleyes http://forum.mopar1973man.com/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=21

• 2 weeks later...

I was turning the alternator nut to get the valves to TDC when all of a sudden the nut comes loose and now I can't get it tight because the pulley spins with the nut. I'm not familiar with how to work alternators or how to adjust them so any help is appreciated!!

If you are feeling all by the book and don't mind spending a few bucks. http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TOOL_3824591