• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Got my 5" exhaust in what's next

Got my 5" exhaust in from RSD yesterday and got it on today. Very very pleased so far with the sound and price. $260 to my front door aint bad for a 5" exhaust. With that being said, what some options for me to do next as far as reliability is concerned. Maybe upgrading the clutch just in case I get a wild hair and add some power mods down the road. One maybe not so good thing I found out the other day as I was checking older threads on here the other day, I ran across an old thread on how to tell if you vp44 was stock or not and it said if your vp has a void sticker on it that it was the original. Well guess what, mine has a big ole yellow sticker that says void on it so maybe I need to be saving my money for the "what if" instead of :spend:

Yea looks exactly like that. Truck is running great no complaints I just figured it was the original after reading that and being that I assume the truck never had a gauge or aftermarket lp (wasn't even the updated in take pump it was still on the block) that it has 119,000 miles of abuse that the vp could have gotten might not be good for me but you on your 3rd one makes me feel better. Reckin how you could tell if it is or not.

--- Update to the previous post...

Doesn't make me happy your on your 3rd pump its you still have the sticker. I read that back to myself and I didnt word that the way I had it in my head. lol

Third vp that he put in or did the stock one roach and he put in two more ?What I'm wondering is if we keep fourteen pounds plus on them how long do they last? Nice exhaust though. I'm going to do one as soon as I pass smog.

The oe went out at 75k and Dodge replaced it under warranty. The oe lift pump went out at 145k. Dodge replaced it with an intank pump to the tune of $900+. Started having trouble with dead pedal and bucking at 165k. Toook it to a shop and found out the intank pump was putting out 0.5 psi at wot. Installed a booster pump on the frame rail and got the pressure up to 17 idle and 12 at wot. This almost eliminated the dead pedal and bucking. It was not until another year had passed after this that I started learning about how important fuel pressure is to these vehicles. I spent another year learning and saw the truoble I was in. By then I was having dead pedal and bucking again so I replaced the VP and installed an AD 220k. There is the history. I was very luck my second pump lasted as long as it did. It was still running when I replaced it, but I figured it was going to leave me stranded one day so out she went.

What I'm wondering is if we keep fourteen pounds plus on them how long do they last?

That is one question you will not find an answer for! There is no formula for longevity, all you can do is keep good fuel pressure, keep the pump lubed up, and keep ypur filters clean.
  • Like 3

That is one question you will not find an answer for! There is no formula for longevity, all you can do is keep good fuel pressure, keep the pump lubed up, and keep ypur filters clean.

Gasser is right on with the above. My second one should have died long before I replaced it. It is a mechanical device and you just never know. Thats probably why you cant get more thatn a 12 month warranty.

Yea I'm sure if you had a bulletproof formula to make the vp last a while you would be a very very popular man. Maybe they changed mine out maybe they didnt doesnt really matter now its running great now so I will cross that bridge when I get there. Back to my original question, what could/should be my next upgrade. Clutch, intake manifold, injectors.......Even though I don't really want to do any power mods I would consider doing injectors right now. I dont really want to put a programmer on there anytime soon but I don't know much about injectors. Maybe some 50 or 75 hp??????

--- Update to the previous post...

I've mainly being looking at bosch rv275's for injectors. I think they are 40 hp

I asked the same questions and ended up going with rv 275, bhaf, fass one fifty, edge awj cts, scan gauge 2, and a vp 44 ( out of necessity ) and some head bolts (peace of mind). Thanks to the help I got here I can see twenty four mph. At sixty five, twenty three at Seventy. And when I'm feeling frisky it will burn out till I take my foot off. Blows some coal too!! If I cruise at fifty five on flat ground with my foot(no cruise, ) scan says twenty six the whole time.