• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I think your best bet is those twins. Without going with a variable turbo, you are stuck with just ranges of use. What would really be neat is some sort of exhaust rerouting mechanism because at higher RPM you need a bigger turbo, but obviously smaller at low RPM. But flow restrictions of a small turbo make it a bad idea concerning EGTs so you just split the difference and there you have an HX35. I noticed the latest engine made by MAN is the most efficient ever in its class and uses 2 turbos to stage the boost so it can reach 80psi. By having the boost really high, the valves open for a much shorter period because the high boost can ram that air out fast. Since the valves are shut longer, the power stroke is sealed longer (before the exhaust valve opens) and the intake valve closes sooner so the air can be compressed more. Uh but yes, twins!

• Like 1

I think your best bet is those twins. Without going with a variable turbo, you are stuck with just ranges of use. What would really be neat is some sort of exhaust rerouting mechanism because at higher RPM you need a bigger turbo, but obviously smaller at low RPM. But flow restrictions of a small turbo make it a bad idea concerning EGTs so you just split the difference and there you have an HX35. I noticed the latest engine made by MAN is the most efficient ever in its class and uses 2 turbos to stage the boost so it can reach 80psi. By having the boost really high, the valves open for a much shorter period because the high boost can ram that air out fast. Since the valves are shut longer, the power stroke is sealed longer (before the exhaust valve opens) and the intake valve closes sooner so the air can be compressed more. Uh but yes, twins!

I think your overthinking it my engineering friend (but I AGREE - thats why I bit the bullet and went twins - I can run it from 300hp all the way to 550hp). think about (theoretically again as I dont know many people that have done it) running that second air pipe on a stock setup (hx35). Now you have a direct feed with little resistance or turns into the #5+#6 cylinder. I mean - a intake plate like a tunnel ram can drop EGT by 100-200 and increase spoolup by 50-100rpm ... what would this do ?? Direct FEED :):think: Stick it on the 12v and let us know :) I know you can fabricate this !!!

I looked through my pics and I can't even do it since I don't have this freeze plug. I don't even get why there is one in the intake. I suppose it would help a little but how much access to things do you lose with that pipe running over to it?post-45-138698189116_thumb.jpg

I looked through my pics and I can't even do it since I don't have this freeze plug. I don't even get why there is one in the intake. I suppose it would help a little but how much access to things do you lose with that pipe running over to it?

You dont have it on the 12v head ? Interesing. I dont think you would lose anything ...... maybe the stock fuel canister. It tees off at the intake tubing and theres not too much in the way there except wiring for apps/vacuum lines etc.

• Owner

I don't think your going to see much change really... I know there is dual intake horn setup I think by BD that has a new intake manifold plate and 2 intake horns. Also I think it only works on 12V's... But this idea would get better flow than spool aid... http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQd4PM3U3P85luNJBKAn3Y3sp-NdCOP7cUvionszlgGGpBK4hI_z4tfKcE0 post-2-138698189128_thumb.jpg

I don't think your going to see much change really... I know there is dual intake horn setup I think by BD that has a new intake manifold plate and 2 intake horns. Also I think it only works on 12V's... But this idea would get better flow than spool aid...

yeah 12v only But think what a tunnel ram does for you and that's just reduced resistance. Porting on the intake side is meant to help heaps ... but lots $$ Seems for $50 in parts - if you can fab yourself - this could be a significant help - especially to #5 +#6 :) Quicker spool and lower EGT for a stock/mild stock seems this would be a winner Id be up for trying it if someone wants to fab it :)