• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So gents, i am in need of figuring out which clutch to purchase, mainly power wise. My dilemma is i only have a ballpark of the max my truck puts out but i dont want to be way over or way under and end up purchasing a clutch that is insufficient.I want to get a complete kit, clutch and flywheel as i think the original flywheel is garbage.All i have done is rv275's, bhaf, edge juice w/attitude. everything else stock and will stay that way. (truck has plenty of power.I rarely tow, rarely "get on it", dont pull nor race.I cant get an estimate on power as the current clutch slips with ease in setting 1 now, so im stuck.on the power rating they put on clutches, is that off the engine or to the ground?I figure off the engine im doing ~395hp ~800 torque. would this be a correct guesstimate? to the tires... i dunno...with this i should go with a clutch capable of handling 400hp 800 tqe. I am going with either Valair or South bend.thoughts?also are any of the vendors able to supply a member or veteran discount?

Just remember it is never a bad thing to get more than enough and not need it, then not enough and need it. So I would look at one in the 500hp range. The cost difference will be minimal and you now have the option to add some more power if you want. Just my :2cents:

I am a firm believer in the kevlar/ceramic single from Valair. It is underrated at 450/900 I think. I spoke with Gary (from Valair) directly several times and he informed me they have held a considerable amount more than that. It has good characteristics and isn't to grabby for a daily driver, And its affordable to purchase. I had my flywheel resurfaced and haven't had any issues doing so. You just have to have a good reliable place to do it. The Dual Disc is a great set up from either of the big 2 companies but for what you have done it is overkill in my opinion. Good luck.

I am a firm believer in the kevlar/ceramic single from Valair. It is underrated at 450/900 I think. I spoke with Gary (from Valair) directly several times and he informed me they have held a considerable amount more than that. It has good characteristics and isn't to grabby for a daily driver, And its affordable to purchase. I had my flywheel resurfaced and haven't had any issues doing so. You just have to have a good reliable place to do it. The Dual Disc is a great set up from either of the big 2 companies but for what you have done it is overkill in my opinion. Good luck.

this one would fit then, just would need to take the flywheel in to be resurfaced and hope its still good... http://www.dieselautopower.com/category_s/460.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=460&show=100&page=1

• 1 month later...

AHHHHHH...... So now i have a brand new clutch!!! i spent a few hours friday after work taking everything off the rig so all we needed to remove was the crossmember and tranny. Saturday my friend came over and he commanded the jack and i did the work, we got the tranny moved back and i commenced removal of flywheel to get machined. as i inspected the flywheel i noticed a couple high hotspots but zero cracks!!! So we got it machined for $25 and had lunch. Then back to the grind. I was able to replace the rear main with a bit of fuss taking the old one out (was in there nice and good) then placed the new one in dry and surfaces cleaned on the crank flange and housing surface. then put the flywheel back on, torqued the bolts to 50ft-lb then to 100ft-lb then inserted the pilot bearing (was in the freezer a bit to make it easy). I cleaned up all the surfaces of the flywheel and pressure plate then installed the clutch and plate, torqued evenly in star fashion to 22ft-lb. i got the clutch nicely aligned and started to put the tranny back and after attempting to get it mated it had shifted on the tranny jack and almost was about to fall off... but we rescued it and i changed tactics. I stuck it in gear, put it in 4wd, and manipulated the front shaft flange to line the splines up and it popped in quick, then getting it aligned to the pilot bearing was a pain but without forcing it we got it in and the guide pins lined right up and i was able to bolt it together. i got finished at 9 pm buttoning it all up. No leaks, drives real damn nice and shifts like a dream! The old throw out bearing had the grease all dried up from clutch dust and made it hard to move on the shaft but i properly regreased the blood groove on the new bearing and the shaft as well. So all in all i have a new... clutch throw out bearing pilot bearing throw out arm and pivot ball flywheel machined nicely and in excellent condition its much easier to get into gear now that the clutch doesnt drag from the throwout bearing sticking and it you are precise you can get moving without the grabbiness most complain about. clutch purchased from Diesel Auto Power http://www.dieselautopower.com/product_p/valair%20kev-fslash-kev%20nmu70279-05.htm here are the specs.. 13.00" x 1.375" Performance Replacement Kevlar/ Kevlar Buttons HD Spring Hub Rated @ 450HP / 950 ft lbs Torque 3400# Pressure Plate Kit includes: Pressure Plate, Clutch Disc, Release Bearing, Pilot Bearing and Alignment Tool. Valair rated them to @ 500HP / 1000 ft lbs Torque

• Like 1