• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tips pointers replace upper ball joint

I'm going to replace the upper ball joints on my truck (2002 2500hd 2wd) anyone have any tips pointers for this type job.Thinking i'll need to but weight of truck on jack stand or second floor jack to prevent spring from pushing to ground once the upper ball joint is broken loose ?The rivets drill out or cut out tops of rivet with dremel tool, any easier methods for this ?Any suggestions appreciatedThanks in advance,Tony

Tony,You are thinking properly. I have not done the 2wd version of this truck, but should be similar.I put the frame on jack stands, use a jack under the lower control arm. Do be careful, the spring is dangerous. (a chain to keep it from flying out is not a bad Idea.) Jack up on lower control arm until I am compressing spring some, disconnect upper ball joint/steering knuckle. (if you are going to leave the jack here keep going, if you are fully decompressing spring you will need to take shock and sway bar loose) (while I am in the "danger zone" I leave the castle nut on the upper ball joint, but basically flush with the end, so the steering knuckle can move, but not come completely apart.) I then slowly lower the jack to let spring decompress some (or all the way. depending). When spring is mainly decompressed it won't just fall out usually. So now you can work on upper control arm. I usually use a 4 1/2" grinder to remove rivet heads. I then use a punch and hammer to remove rivets. It can be a bear to get to the rivet heads depending on car.If you are not going to fully decompress, do not trust the jack!!! use an extra jack stand to lower the lower control arm onto. DO NOT TRUST YOUR LIFE TO A JACK!!!! (unless your doctor is named Jack or something...)Good Luck HTH and isn't too late!Hag

Ensure BOTH front tires are off the ground. Otherwise, disconnect the sway bar. This will restrict one side from dropping.. Also, if the SB bushings are dry and tight, you may have to fight that down, or just loosen the swaybar bushing saddles to allow them to slip easier..

• Like 1