• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rear axle binding when turning

Seems to only do this when it gets warmed up...Coming off of the highway, stopping, then turning, it feels like the rear end has a locker...It does have limited slip. But sometimes if feels like its grabbing when you turn, and you can almost hear the tires breaking loose a little. I did change the rear end oil @ 1 year ago. I put Valvoline duralbend synthetic blend 80w90 oil in it. And it says its for limited slip...Maybe try a different oil??

Seems to only do this when it gets warmed up...Coming off of the highway, stopping, then turning, it feels like the rear end has a locker...It does have limited slip. But sometimes if feels like its grabbing when you turn, and you can almost hear the tires breaking loose a little. I did change the rear end oil @ 1 year ago. I put Valvoline duralbend synthetic blend 80w90 oil in it. And it says its for limited slip...Maybe try a different oil??

My 2000 that i had prioor to my current truck developed the same issue. It had about 340k on the oriignal rear end. The clutch packs can get plugged up over time and will not work effectively. I ended up pulling the assembly completely out, sprayed the clutches liberally with brake clean (ithink i used about a can and a half) and then blew it out with compressed air. While i was in there i replaced the pinion and axle seals and reassembled. i put several thousand miles on it before i sold it to my friend he daily drives it and has not had any other issues with it since.
  • Like 1

That brand differential lube doesn't have enough friction modifier in it. Even the Valvoline full synthetic doesn't have enough friction modifier. Using Valvoline in a limited slip differential will cause the clutches to grab and become more aggressive as the differential gets hotter. You need to install some friction modifier. If you haven't put any in there then you probably need the entire bottle. The bottles are usually no bigger than a 4-5 oz. But you can start with half the bottle and see if that helps and then add more later if needed.

It can be normal without the limited slip friction modifyer added, even some synthetic oils will cause the friction discs to do it even with friction modifyer added. The friction clutch manufactures have not kept up with advancements in oils over the years and the compatability with newer oils leaves a lot to be desired.I have had this issue when trying to use amsoils severe gesar lube and had to go back to the normal synthetic amsoil instead of the premium to get around chattering clutches in limited slip diffs.

I know you guys are talking about 2nd gens hear, so I'm going to throw this out there. My'06 calls for full syn. There is also no recommendation to add a friction modifier. I refilled with Mobil 1 75w-90, and have not experianced any issuses in almost 10k

I know you guys are talking about 2nd gens hear, so I'm going to throw this out there. My'06 calls for full syn. There is also no recommendation to add a friction modifier. I refilled with Mobil 1 75w-90, and have not experianced any issuses in almost 10k

There are no clutches in the AAM limited slips. Totally different concept.