• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Mopar1973Man needs some help...

Sad thing is we are 180 miles either North or South to a Dodge dealer that can handle Cummins engines. So it can get expessive quickly just saying dealer. :spend:

Man, that sucks. And I doubt there is a Cummins dealer around either. Sometimes I feel spoiled living in Denver... Gun shops everywhere, Dodge and actual Cummins shops all over, junk yards galore... :woot: Now if only there weren't so many people. :think:

• Owner

Michael, I'm kind of surprised you didn't suspect this sooner. Especially with you being the 'puter guy and knowing how critical is it for 'puters to have a "reliable and consistent" flow of electrons within a certain range of volts and amps etc.!! It's amazing sonetimes that these 'puter controlled trucks run at all sometimes due to the variable nature of voltage, amps and ohms!!!!!!!:smart::duh::2cents:

What was funny about it when I voltage tested them they shown a bit low in voltage 12.4 while hooked to the truck. Then when running they where at 14.1 Volts but it took a little bit to recover. The only thing that made me actually give up on the batteries was the age. So what was strange after he drove down to my place and I changed them out the batteries sat in the driveway for 2 hours or so and tested the voltage again 12.8 Volts. So that shows me that amp capacity of the batteries was getting short anyways.

What was funny about it when I voltage tested them they shown a bit low in voltage 12.4 while hooked to the truck. Then when running they where at 14.1 Volts but it took a little bit to recover. The only thing that made me actually give up on the batteries was the age. So what was strange after he drove down to my place and I changed them out the batteries sat in the driveway for 2 hours or so and tested the voltage again 12.8 Volts. So that shows me that amp capacity of the batteries was getting short anyways.

Michael, I was just "saying"...........not "arguing" in my prior post!!!! I would've firgured it out after a whole lot more replacement parts.............that's for sure!!!:duh::banghead::2cents: Later. Joe

Sorry i was late for class. can you please explain your battery troubleshooting results?

• Owner

Sorry i was late for class. can you please explain your battery troubleshooting results?

Posted Image

State of charge is checking the battery voltage after appriximately 3 hours. Typically disconnected.

When I showed up the owner's house I brought my DVM (Digital Volt Meter) check the standing at rest battery voltage 12.4 Volts been sitting for better than 24 hours but hooked up to the truck. So now started the truck and saw the alternator take a bit of time to push up to 14.1 Volts which is good. But after shutting down it took less than a few minutes for the batteries to fall back 12.4 volts again.

So knowing the batteries are 10 years old and the owner only drives the truck maybe 6K-8K a year. So I know the batteries are pretty well done in age. But when I replaced the batteries and left the old ones sit on the ground for over 2 hours the voltage was 12.8 when I checked them. So I'm going to have to say the batteries are charging but the cold cranking capacity is been greatly reduced for such small draw to pull it down 12.4 volts.

• Like 2