• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bosch or Nippondenso Alternator

Is there a differance between the Bosch & Nippondenso alternators as far as the electrical hook ups? I will soon be bench testing the alternator and replacing if needed with a new one. For what I have seen online is that only Nippondenso alternators are available new. All the Bosch alternators are rebuilt units. From what I can tell, I currently have an Bosch alternator (stock) in my truck Any input on this would be helpfull.

I believe the one I got from auto zone is Nippondenso. Who know how long it will last. My oe Bosch lasted near 245k. The case failed where it bolted thru the bracket. Other than that it would still be on the truck and working I believe. I did get a lifetime warranty with the Nippon, so I should not have to buy another. I guess I am not much help since I dont know anything about the Bosch rebuilt.

Thanks. After looking at the pics of alternators on the Napa website, most of the connections look to be the same other than the back side of two alternators are a little bit differantly made.The reason I am wanting to check out the alternator is after reading anouther thread about the TC lock/unlock issue that I get from time to time.

• 7 months later...

I finaly got around to replacing the alternator with a new Nippondenso from Rockauto. The connections are the same but just a few degrees differance in relation to the field plug on the Bosch was about 2 o'clock and the Nippondenso is approx. at 4 o'clock. Everything fits just fine. DCV are now 14.4 and the ACV is indicating about 0.01 to 0.02. So far not having any TC lock/unlock issues.

• Staff

I just switched from my original Bosch over to a new Nippon Denso just two weeks ago. I perfer the ND because of the luck I have had with them lasting and the thicker winding wire inside. I also like the seperate ground prong to ground directly to the battery. Bosch does not have one on there so the only ground is thru the mounting which I found was a weak connection using my ohm meter. I think the bad ground is caused by the mounting bracket having a thick powder coating.When you compare weight without a scale I think the ND felt a little heavier.... which I don't know matters or not.