• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

After removing the stock air box and K&N filter:nono: and installing the BHAF, I decided to take a look at the turbo. It does not look damaged but it is filthy. At the risk of sounding stupid, what would be the best thing to clean it with? Or would it be best to just leave it alone? Remember I am new to the diesel world! Just don't want to make any costly mistakes or slack on maintenance.

• Owner

It would be best to remove the turbo from the truck and remove the compression housing and clean it throughly. Reason why is that compressor wheel is spinning roughly 200,000 RPM's (That's not a typo). So that small amount of dirt and girt on the compressor wheel might chew up the bearings being out of balance possibly.I wouldn't attempt to clean it on the truck too risky spraying cleaners or anything in the intake track that might exploded from the grid heaters or cause a runaway. Just best to remove it and clean it right. As for the rest of the air system its going to be most likely just as dirty so check the tubing and the intercooler inside and see.Hate to say it but K&N filter are not good at all... :nono:

• Like 1

Thank you for the info, I will take it off and clean it ASAP. I knew from everything I had read on this and other forums that the K&N was crap. That is why I chose to put the BHAF on. I just hope no damage has already been done. Is there any solvent or particular cleaner you would recommend?

• Owner

Just good old part solvent that is mild. Like mineral Spirits will work too. If you submerge the turbo in solvent remember to pump some oil through the oil fitting to re-prime the shaft bearings before starting the engine again.

As for any washable media I don't trust them at all... I've been running a BHAF for most of the life of my truck and this is what the turbo looks like now at 201K miles.

Posted Image

If you do take the entire turbo off (draining the oil out of it) all you have to do is get a socket that fits that front nut and use an extension and a wrench and then start the truck and wait for oil pressure. The turbo has hardly any power at idle speed. I know it spins pretty fast idling but it is easilllly held back with the socket wrench. Just don't rev it up while you're doing it.

• Like 2

• Owner

mike..do i see a siliencing ring in there?

Yes sir you do... I finally got tired of listening to that loud whistling noise while towing the trailers all the time. Since the ring was reinstalled its much quieter in the cab and more relaxing. Especially driving 6-8 hours going down to Boise, ID or Ontario, OR and back. No performance loss and no MPG loss...

Thanks Mike! I will tear into it this weekend and clean the heck out of it. LOL! about the silencer ring, my wife said she heard something whining when we were going down the road and asked me if it was normal. I have high pitch hearing loss and I cannot hear the turbo, but, I assured her it was fine!