• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Roof rack

only had 1 roof rack in my life and that was on a vehicle my wife had when we married. It was a dealer install when brand new and leaked and loose. After a few years of trying all kind of sealants and lock-tite and such, we sold it and never had one since. my recommendation is figure a way to do without. that's why i have a trailer for each truck here.

• Like 1

only had 1 roof rack in my life and that was on a vehicle my wife had when we married. It was a dealer install when brand new and leaked and loose. After a few years of trying all kind of sealants and lock-tite and such, we sold it and never had one since. my recommendation is figure a way to do without. that's why i have a trailer for each truck here.

Thx guys Worked out I can put it in my truck bed for now. Later might go with a self installable bed racj - but its like $600. Its for my new toy - Tarpon 140 Kayak

I agree with the guys, Don't install a roof rack. (the factory ones on the suburbans work great and don't leak, but I have heard the guys that installed them off of other trucks and NEVER eliminating all the leaks....)What I am thinking of doing, to carry my canoes is to build a "headache rack". (you can also buy these) This will fit in the front "stake holes". If the angle looks wrong (catches air etc), will build a rear rack to bring the canoe up. (for both front and rear, search for "ladder racks".)GL HTHHag

• Like 1

John,You might want to take advantage of the two lower hooks then. I don't see why you could not build a rack that "hangs" (not really hanging, but getting longitudinal support) on the front of the bed between the cab, and tension it by using J-hooks to connect to the front hook places in the bed.You are not carrying weight, you just need to keep from scratching the roof.Hag

• 2 weeks later...