• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

A question for all.I have recently heard of a potential problem on the older 5.9, 's that I am sure most of you know about, but it was news to me. There is a dowel pin under the front cover that can work out and tear up the gears in the fron of the motor? And I understand the easy fix, I quess my question is, Is this still a potential problem on the 2nd gen 24 valve motor? or has it been adderessed by Cummins? Thanks in advance for "clearing the air"

Mike, I was watching "Trucks" on the local channel and they were doing a Cummins swap into a Ford truck...The Ford will run much better now!!Anyway they showed a fix for this by simply making a tab with a hole in it to mount under the bolt next to the dowel pin. The tab would then prevent the pin from working out.My questions then are these, How often does this happen? Have any of the forum members done this "fix"? How long did it take to remove the covers ect and do the job start to finish?Do you have a DIY on this procedure? Thanks Randy

• Owner

Mike, I was watching "Trucks" on the local channel and they were doing a Cummins swap into a Ford truck...The Ford will run much better now!!

Anyway they showed a fix for this by simply making a tab with a hole in it to mount under the bolt next to the dowel pin. The tab would then prevent the pin from working out.

My questions then are these,

How often does this happen?

Common on the early years...

Have any of the forum members done this "fix"?

I don't have a whole lot of 12V members but you could ask ISX.

How long did it take to remove the covers ect and do the job start to finish?

Well I really can't answer that one...Sorry...:confused:

Do you have a DIY on this procedure?

Yeah I do..

Thanks Randy

Right here...

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/general/kdp/kdp.htm

It's very straight forward and simple. I think I piddled with it for an hour or two, but I tend to stare at things I never seen before (under the timing cover :wow:) I think you could do it in a half hour if you went fast and the fan came off quickly. Just follow the directions and take your time and you'll see that there isn't really much that can go wrong. Make sure you are tedious about putting it back together, you would hate to find out you created a new oil leak :ahh:

When i put my cam in everything was apart.I dont think 1/2hr will cut it.It is a big job.If you are going to do this job get some cardboard and make a jig pattern of the front cover.When removing the bolts put them on the cardboard jig.And put a new seal on the crank.The seal kit will come with a plastic ring ,it is a tool to help the seal go in.I used permatex right stuff instead of a gasket.

That reminds me, also put a piece of cardboard over the radiator so when you are taking the fan off and working all around in there, you wont be bending all the fins constantly. It might be longer than half hour, anyone else would know how long it takes better than me. You review what you gotta do a few times though, and I don't think it would take very long.