• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Crank Case vented to unused fuel filter housing?

So I've been thinking that I want to put a oil trap on my crank case vent. My biggest problem is that I dont want to spend $200 on a kit. As I was thinking about options for a home made setup, I got a crazy idea...why not use the stock fuel filter housing? I have a FASS 150 on the truck already, so that housing is just sitting there doing nothing. Im going to look at what all i would have to change on it to make it work as my oil trap. Any ideas/gripes/complaints or comments about the whole idea??

Mike,I actually thought about this idea while I was at home depot buying the PVC for your MOD! My thought process is that if i catch the oil and just drain it when I change the oil, I shouldn't have to worry about freezing (although being stationed in Southern Cali means I rarely have to worry about that anyway) and I can drain everything caught instead of it venting to the underside of my truck. I was thinking to plumb the vent hose to the outlet side and vent the inlet. That should allow all the venting of pressure needed, while still catching any oil.

• Owner

Let put it this way... With my mod I don't loose enough have to add oil. But I do put a few drips on the garage floor. The problem with the factory vent its mostly panic or hard stops that slosh oil out that tube. That why the reverse direction of mine to stop that action as well as up and over the engine to force the oil to try and climb.

My 7.3 actually vents into the intake :lmao: Yes it looks like just what you could imagine in there. Couldn't you guys just get one of those little K&N looking filters that you put on the valve cover? I've seen 12V's with them.

I was thinking of a dumb idea. Come down elbow back and tee hang the bottle off the tee elbow up and the elbow back down. Leave the bottle closed. This way you got a low point to catch oil and still vent out the end of the pipe. Hmmm it might just work...:think:

is there more oil in vapor form or droplet form? could do a p-trap style and put the bottle on the bottom of the trap (if this is what you were saying)?

My original plan was to plum the crank case vent into one of the fuel fittings, then put a valve cover breather type filter on the other. Totally just gut everything else, and put a drain valve in the bottom, just empty it when I change the oil.....

Thanks Mopar!! Thats the type of input I was looking for....I just didnt want to screw anything up. As of now, I almost have your mod ready to go on the truck (work has made it really difficult to find time to get it on!) so i'll run that for awhile, and I'll work on putting a catch can on later. Thanks! If I end up getting it to work, i'll let you guys know!