• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Selling car for scrap metal?

NWMontanaMan

I've got an old beater Subaru I've driven since high school that finally gave up the ghost a few months back. I've been trying to figure out what to do with it. What does a person do with a vehicle they've driven into the ground? How much do you think I could get for it as scrap? I've got a grenaded V6 out of a Toyota I need to get rid of, too. That's what made me think scrap. I don't really have time to part out the car unless it would be a significantly better deal than scrap or something else. What do you guys think? :shrug:

Most scrap iron yards only pay a set amount for cars regardless of the weight, for a compact or midsize you will be doing good to get $100 for it, I think 75-80 is more realistic. You might just advertise on some local site like craigslist or whatever is more popular in your area and sell it as is for a reasonable offer.Do not put the engine inside, sell it seperate as unprepped scrap iron it will be worth more otherwise you get carbody price for everything you stick inside it.I would call to your local scrap yards to see what the going rate is and make a judgement call on wether it is worth your time and fuel to haul it depending on how far you need to haul it to be rid of it.

"HERE" They'll beat me up pretty bad if it still has rubber. It pays a LOT to remove the tires. Recently got 160/ton for a vehicle. Was 180 earlier this summer. I'll stuff old rolls of barb wire in the trunk to add to the payoff.It also pays pretty well to remove the radiator (if brass) and CC and sell them separately.I took a couple of brass radiators in and got almost $100 each, and the convertors were $80 each.:thumbup2:Having a steel 'mini-mill' 70 miles down the road helps a lot too!

If by chance its still got a catylitic converter on it, cut it out of the exhaust. The oem coverters bring big bucks if youve got a place that buys metals. As stated above the junkyard wont give you much. Also as noted, remove the tires/wheels. If the tires are still good, you can reuse them or sell them. If the wheels are aluminum, scrap them seperately as aluminum. I always cut junk tires off of rims if scrapping (cheaper than paying to dismount them) Take the valvestem out so the air is let out and I cut em off the wheel with a salzall, grinder/cutoff wheel, The battery is worth some money too. This is all stuff you can do in a short amount of time and put 3 or 4 hundred bucks in your pocket.

All good points being made, But it comes down to contacting the local salvage or scrap yard to find out exactly what they pay and do and don't accept.Lots of folks used to pile old car bodies full of old barbed and other wire that they normally would not accept and that is what has made them offer a set amount for car bodies and some will inspect the body and if it is full of garbage and wire they have even turned them away or will only accept them for free.Best to check before doing anything. A phone call is easier than a trip for nothing.

Thata strange they would turn you away, WF. I mean it is scrap and your taking it to a scrap yard.....The only thing they require around here is if the car has an engine you have to bring the title and proof of ID (car has to be. In your name). If no engine, they could care less. Ive literally scrapped 60 to 80 cars over the years. I remember when gas soared sky high (for the first time) 4 or 5 yrs ago, an suv or a light duty pickup would bring around 500 bucks. A set of aluminum rims would bring over 100 bucks. Fuel was high, but if you had a big trailer and enough leads on scrap to stay busy, it paid pretty dang good. I was working full time, work on getting a trailer loaded in the evenings during the week, and run it in saturday morning. Sometimes my payday on saturday was as good or better then my paycheck on friday.

I have never been turned away but they did make me take the barbed wire out of the car a couple times. Some scrap yards do take it for free they will not buy old rolled up barbed wire if it is rusty beyond use ect.The main reason is that is plugs up their sheers. Plus if it is rusted to near nothing it is not recyclable.Some have gone to buying it if it isn't rusty but at a lesser than nonprepped price.Around here If you are hauling the cars to a metal recycling center there is no need for a title but if trying to get rid of them at an auto salvage yard then you have to have a title, not sure about the engine part or not here it has been a few years since I hauled cars out.I usually part them out to a point for the individual metals and parts myself too. Next summer I am going to clean up my mother in laws farm and there is a lot of loads of iron to haul out but I am going to try and spend time to get it cut up into prepped size to get the premium price for her. No vehicles just lots of scrap that has piled up over the last 50+ years.We have both metal recycling centers and auto salvage yards and both have different buying practices and rules.We are mixing some info here between the two.To the OP make sure and check both sources if you have it at your disposal, check both metal recycling centers and auto salvage yards.Some are one in the same.

• Like 1

our local buyers don't care whats packed inside... as long as it sticks to a magnet. They smash em flat here, and the grinder at the mill does the rest. Rolls of wire don't phase the hammer mill one bit. They don't separate cast either. Our mill will mag the ground up car, and what doesn't stick to the mag goes down the road to another smelter (for the non ferrous material)These guys know what a car or pickup will weigh, and if something is 'fishy' they'll take a closer look. I have packed TONS of barb wire in over 20 vehicles. Cars are best.. they want the 'extra' inside the car or trunk. That way, the loose stuff won't fly off the semi headed to the mill. Rust doesn't matter either. It doesn't weigh up at all. What's UNDER the rust does! These buyers know all the tricks of the trade!... The further you are from an actual mill, the more picky/discounting the buyers are. My biggest gripe is being able to get in and out of their yards to unload, without getting at least one flat tire!

• Like 1

The further you are from an actual mill, the more picky/discounting the buyers are. My biggest gripe is being able to get in and out of their yards to unload, without getting at least one flat tire!

Ain't that the truth about the tires about once every 3-4 trips yields something leaving in my tire. Yeah we are a long way from a mill in the Bismarck Mandan area, everything goes out of state on truck or mostly by rail and that is why they are more picky. I forgot about that aspect, I actaully got that from having a conversation with a buyer a few years ago.:smart:

I have never been turned away but they did make me take the barbed wire out of the car a couple times. Some scrap yards do take it for free they will not buy old rolled up barbed wire if it is rusty beyond use ect. The main reason is that is plugs up their sheers. Plus if it is rusted to near nothing it is not recyclable.Some have gone to buying it if it isn't rusty but at a lesser than nonprepped price. Around here If you are hauling the cars to a metal recycling center there is no need for a title but if trying to get rid of them at an auto salvage yard then you have to have a title, not sure about the engine part or not here it has been a few years since I hauled cars out. I usually part them out to a point for the individual metals and parts myself too. Next summer I am going to clean up my mother in laws farm and there is a lot of loads of iron to haul out but I am going to try and spend time to get it cut up into prepped size to get the premium price for her. No vehicles just lots of scrap that has piled up over the last 50+ years. We have both metal recycling centers and auto salvage yards and both have different buying practices and rules. We are mixing some info here between the two. To the OP make sure and check both sources if you have it at your disposal, check both metal recycling centers and auto salvage yards. Some are one in the same.

The scrap yards never used to care about a title until scrap prices went through the roof a few years ago. People were "aquiring " vehicles that didnt belong to them and hauling them off to the smasher before they could be caught. So they changed the laws (in the state of ohio) anything that had an engine running or not you had to have a title with proof of ownership. If it didnt have an engine it was still fair game. Auto junk yards have always required titles around here as well but Ive never taken a car to them they dont give anywhere near the money a scrap yard will.

• 6 months later...

I’d recommend you contact a few scrap yards and find out how much you’ll get in return for car scrap. I usually go down to the SIMS facility in Albany to sell most of the scrap metal I have. Take a look at http://us.simsmm.com/Locations/New-York/Hudson-River-Recycling if you want. They also deal in car scrap processing. Find out if they have a location near you; you’ll definitely make a good bargain.

I’d recommend you contact a few scrap yards and find out how much you’ll get in return for car scrap. I usually go down to the SIMS facility in Albany to sell most of the scrap metal I have. Take a look at http://us.simsmm.com/Locations/New-York/Hudson-River-Recycling if you want. They also deal in car scrap processing. Find out if they have a location near you; you’ll definitely make a good bargain.

What on earth did you search for that dug up this seven-month-old thread?