• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Truck is all fixed but no power steering...

So I got a call from my buddy who is doing all the frame and body work on my truck. He called me yesterday and told me that for some reason my truck doesn't have any power steering. In the accident I snapped the shaft off at the pitman arm so the box is brand new. The power steering pump/ vaccum pump is still original. My friend said he thinks I may have damaged the pump in the accident or the vaccum pump. He said he put fluid in the truck but its not moving any of it through the lines.any ideas as to what this could be? I ordered a new power steering pump and I was looking around for a vaccum pump but never found one. I see a lot of people selling rebuild kits. Is this a a common problem that the seals go bad? And also I would say its a good idea to do mine while I have the assembly out correct?

I gave the shop a call they said the brakes have been funny too. So i need a pump??

I think if the shaft isn't damaged then the rebuild kit is the way to go. Much more cost effective than having to buy the whole pump. Talk about sticker shock if you buy the pump. :cry:

:)

The Hydro boost along with power steering pump runs both brakes and power steering. There is an acumulator in the hydro boost that acts as a brake booster where it holds pressure in case of engine failure. Sometimes for whatever reason this wont hold pressure and cause you to not have brakes and steering. I recently had the same issue, I changed my power steering pump and after bleeding it for a long period of time it seemed to fix it but some people say that having the new fluid in it helps with the acumulator to hold pressure.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier... I think you will find that the vacuum pump coupler is damaged. The guys here http://www.fixinrams.com/ are great to talk to. He feels that severe accidents like this do damage the vacuum pump assembly. Pull it off and take a peek at it. I think that is where your problem is. He said that he has frequently had to testify to insurance companies that this happens. (The vacuum pump is what drives the power steering pump which makes your pressure...) Hope that helps, Hag

ok so here's where the truck stands So i talked to my buddy who's doing all the work on the truck. He looked at the power steering pump and the vacuum pump assembly and straight out told me its not something he wants to get involved in because he isn't familiar with the diesel motor. So looks like I'm getting the truck back and doing the work myself. I've beefing talking with www.fixinrams.com and I think either the power steering pump is messed up internally or I have an abundance of issues. apparently the power steering works when the truck is moving but not when is sitting still. And the brakes are not working. Soon we shall see I ordered the borgenson high flow power steering pump so that's on it way and a vac pump seal kit. I'll keep this thread alive with my progress but I started making a full rebuild thread.

Dodgethis,The vacuum pump / ps assembly is very simple. Don't be afraid of it at all.I usually take the whole assembly off as 1 piece. So much easier this way. Take the intake tube from intercooler to intake off for clearance. 3 bolts hold it to the timing cover, power steering hoses, oil feed line to vacuum pump, and one support bracket on the bottom. (this bracket must be put back on as you install the assembly, so don't forget to slip it in place as you re-install the pump.)Take LOTS OF PICTURES. It will help when reassembling. A few of the bolts are specific lengths. Take pictures of where they go.You can then put the assembly on a bench. When you take the p/s pump free from the vacuum pump you will see the coupler. I still think it is the coupler. It drags and provides a bit of power to the ps pump, but when you need a lot of psi, the coupling slips. At least this was how mine was damaged. GL Keep us updated!Hag