• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel pump will not energize

Replaced my battery cables yesterday. Started the engine up 4 or 5 times, fuel pump was working. Tried starting this a.m. and can't hear the pump energize. Checked the fuse in the wiring harness, switched the fuses in the PDC, looked at all of the connections they still have dielectric grease on them, replaced the relay in the harness and still nothing. What am I missing here? Any help would be appreciated!

I had an electrical failure on the lift pump... traced back to a connection on I think the passenger's battery, a few inches from the ground terminal... I'm thinking closest to the air filter. My mechanic found it. Use your multi meter & a clip lead... test for volts each side of each connection until you find it. Say set your meter to volts. Test across the battery terminals itself (proves the meter & probes are working. Then systematically work out. Clip to the plus, use your probe to test both sides of every joint in the ground wiring. Clip the meter ground to the battery ground, use your probe to test the + side. It's hard to think logically when it's your ride. I could calmly work on others engines all day but at quitting time, mine had better start!

Ok, I had aq fuse that is bad. But, the problem is still not fixed. Does any one know what the voltage should be from the ECM to the fuel pump wires? I have 8.71 with the ignition. I hooked up the fuel pump directly to the battery and it is energizing.

- - - Updated - - -

:ashamed::banghead::cookoo: Ok, I get the stupid award! After going thru all of my wires, checking to see if I had a break in them, I find a loose ground connection. Fix it. Then I realize the black (ground) wire should be on the negative post NOT on the positive post! The one good thing is that I didn't have the truck towed to spend towing charges and shop hours to find my STUPID mistake. You can go ahead and heap the praise on me now!

• Owner

Ok did you bump the starter or just turn the key on? Bump the starter and you should get battery voltage at the leads for 20-25 seconds. Now also are you probing both pins of the stock plug? Try probing only the yellow/white and body ground to verify the ground lead is bad or not. If the body ground is better then the ground lead is bad.