• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

bus communication problems

moTTD

I've got a '04 3500 4wd 5sp with 180k on the clock. I bought this truck about 6 months ago after many great years with my old D350. I was resistant to going with a 3rd gen as I'm a pretty knowledgeable mechanic, but I'm not a "wires" guy.I love the truck, but sure enough, now it's developed a nasty intermittent electrical problem. Every once and a while, it will suddenly go crazy in the dash board, with all the gauges bouncing, lights flashing, bells and gongs all going off. Fortunately, the engine never (at least not yet) misses a beat, but I found that even the brake lights go on and stay on when this happens. Sometimes the odometer will display "NO BUS" when this happens, and when scanned, I get the codes 336 and 1652. I just replace the crank sensor (336) a month ago, and I know that the 1652 is the bus communication code. I replaced the original batteries, and checked to see if my aftermarket radio was the problem (not!) -- and I removed the ECM plugs, sprayed them, and reattached them -- no joy.....I've looked at the bus diagnostic page in the article section and I really don't understand it, I'd really appreciate any other ideas, pointers, or links that might help me.Tom

I think I found the problem....There were a couple of harnesses kind of wrapped around the dipstick tube. They were several wires rubbed bare and probably shorting there. I'm not sure they are OEM wires, they may be from some of the Banks stuff that came on the truck?Anyway, the dash seems to be behaving itself now -- we'll see....

post-12405-138698195615_thumb.jpg