• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

high speed miss

in the last 2 months this has happened 3 times. i am cruising along the freeway and bam...it fells like a miss...the truck lunges and then takes back off. it lasts just a split second. the first 2 times i had cruise control on. usually travel 60-65mph. it did it again after coming home from a hunting trip and i wasn't using the cruise and was going ~75mph. no CEL light, so autozone won't even try to read codes...just left me scatch'n my head.

• Owner

Well your going to have to find another autozone or shop with a scanner and scan for codes... A bunch of codes don't light the CEL light. Like P0216 code (VP44 death code)... :eek: So first thing we need is... Know if you got error codes... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/obd2-error-codes/obd2-error-codes.htm Then whats your fuel pressure like... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/fuel-pressure/fuel-pressure.htm

• 3 weeks later...

it has not done this again. i still a concerned, but do not have a way the diagnose the problem further yet. i since have installed the big line kit on the truck(from fuel can to VP44). it came with a tapped 90* so i can get fuel pressure readings now. just need a gauge. the last time i took it to autozone, the CEL was off(well...it never came on). the guy hooked up to OBD2 and tried. it just said "working" and after a minute or so. he said because the check engine light wasn't on, he was going to get any codes. in the middle of January i plan on buying a obd2 -> usb adapter so i can monitor the live data(and maybe tune my ecm :evil:)

well maybe speed has nothing to do with it.....i was in a pizzahut and the wife was in the truck(parked in neutral)...she said that it tryed to die...well, "you know how when you turn it off. how it kinda runs out of fuel. that happened, and then it was like someone push the pedal". i assumed that was the anti-stall....i bought the arbor frieght $15 fuel pressure gauge.....opened it up and it says not for diesels....does anyone think it will hurt?

Edited by guesswho512
(in park)

How many psi does the harbor freight gauge go to? I have some Mopar gauges but they only go to 15 psi.

it goes to 100psi i was disappointed that nowhere on the box does it say "Not for diesel" but it is in bold and on of the first few lines..... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92699 Edited by guesswho512

it goes to 100psi i was disappointed that nowhere on the box does it say "Not for diesel" but it is in bold and on of the first few lines.....

That gauge is not going to work. This is the gauge you want: http://www.vulcanperformance.com/Fuel-Pressure-Tester-with-Schrader-Connection-p/fpt.htm Probably costs a little more but worth every penny, plus it is handy for future troubleshooting and use.

in the last 2 months this has happened 3 times. i am cruising along the freeway and bam...it fells like a miss...the truck lunges and then takes back off. it lasts just a split second. the first 2 times i had cruise control on. usually travel 60-65mph. it did it again after coming home from a hunting trip and i wasn't using the cruise and was going ~75mph. no CEL light, so autozone won't even try to read codes... just left me scatch'n my head.

old vp44 needed to be replaced no dout it had little issues and stuff such as dieing for a split second then pick right back up and run, you know the little things in life that make you day. Oh yes I allmost forgot it has never thrown a code As you can see my old vp44 did the same thing and it got really bad fuel mileage.

old vp44 needed to be replaced no dout it had little issues and stuff such as dieing for a split second then pick right back up and run, you know the little things in life that make you day. Oh yes I allmost forgot it has never thrown a code As you can see my old vp44 did the same thing and it got really bad fuel mileage.

believe me....i haven't stopped thinking that since you changed yours.... dieing for a split second....i could see that.....it feels like one cylinder didn't get fuel(or enough to pop) but the others do.... this my daily worker right now......... so....does this sound like the electrics are dieing on the vp? truck won't fit in garage so i will have to wait until the snow and ice melt to do more trouble shooting. thanks to everyone who has chimed in.....ohh and 1 says yes and 1 says no about that gauge....