• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Killer Dowel Pin

I'm preparing to check and repair my KDP. I down loaded directions from Geno's Garage. One question Geno's directions did not address was the removal of the Harmonic Balancer and Crank shaft pulley. I believe they are both Keyed and only go on one way. My question is "Do I need a gear puller" to remove them. Information will be appreciated, Thank you.

IIRC, they're held on by 4 bolts. no puller required.

Crank pulley is inside the timing cover. No need to pull. Although, harmonic balancer does need to be pulled. 4 bolts. Hardest thing is to get the bolts to break loose. Impact gun, or barring tool on the flywheel. 2 methods I have done are: 1. Use a 1/2" drive ratchet and position it so when you turn the ratchet it does not cause the crankshaft to spin as you turn. 2. If you have a helper, remove the inspection cover on the transmission and use a prybar to hold the flywheel from spinning. Then you can brake the bolts loose. BTW, the balancer is not keyed. Check the alignment marks on the balancer though and make sure they line up. If they are offset from each other, you need to replace the balancer.