• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1988 dodge cummins W250 4X4 truck question

branumhawk

Hey,I just bought a 88 dodge cummins truck. Most of what I see online pertains to 89 to 93 as the production years. I do find some suppliers that list 88 to 93 and references to 88's here. My questions is my truck is titled an 88, anyone know how many were made in 88 or was a cutoff period where they were putting cummins in 88 trucks after a certain month. Just curious as I dont see many 88 dodge cummins trucks for sale anywhere. Thanks for any information as I would like to know a little more about the history of what I got.Thanks,bhawk

First I have heard of an 88 cummins. What is the build date of the rig, generally anything built from august on is registered as the next year? Maybe could have been a registration glitch. Or it could be you got the prototype and don't know you are driving them crown jewel that started this great dynasty.:lmao:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Hidden

Its a weird bird I guess. Got dana 70 rear and 60 up front manual lockers and 205tc. Vin number shows it to be an 88 5.2 gasser 4X4 250 with an invalid body type. Two consecutive numbers in the vin code dont match the truck. The 7th digit is a 4, the 8th a Y. The body has an invalid number as only 3-6-7 are listed in the vin decoder and Y is for a 5.2 motor. Year code number is correct for an 88 and vin on truck does match title. It must be a vin code error one of the late 88 models that first got the diesel motors. I did find a site that listed errors were somewhat common in the early trucks.Changed juices today on motor and tranny. Went with synthetic 5W-30W in the tranny, 5 quarts poured in the top. It rattles a bit in 4th when loaded up, I havent driven it yet since the fluid change as it was dark by the time I stabbed the shifter back in. Truck has a whole different sound than my 99 and it pops instantly on start up. I did get the interior redone over the last two days, headliner, dyed the trim moldings original color, put in new carpet original color and cleaned 10 lbs of grime and dust out of it. Saddleman seat cover looks fine and it even smells good when you get in it now. Next I am gonna check over the front end, did a quick look see when I mounted some different wheels and like new 3.05X16 tires I had from another truck. Steering didnt seem too bad and couldnt feel anything with play in it. PO got this truck in a trade for a 2009 four wheeler so he had no history or knowledge of the truck other than the guy had 8 trucks and wasnt driving this one much. I am having more fun with this one than my 24 valve and when I figure how to post some pictures I will.bhawk

I was fixing a computer and reconfiguring some IP securty cameras at my buddy's salvage yard today and got offered a 91 dodge cummins truck exactly the same color as mine almost (less motor and tranny and seat, long gone) in exchange for my work there this morning. The passenger door has a small crease in it due to forklift, but the rest is in extremely good condition and was owned by a mechanic who had 3 too many DUI's. Body and even the paint is excellent with a little rust only on top of cab. I am guessing the rear axles are the same, other than the gear ratio. I am not sure what all I can use but I have another aspect to my project picking clean the parts from one that are better than what I got. Believe it or not the parts truck has some screwy numbers according to this vin decoder site http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/specs/VIN_decode-pre94.htm Its not supposed to have the diesel option. They must have screwed up a few of them. Parts truck is a 91 and I am going to use bed, doors, front fenders and maybe hood. Being I probably wont paint it soon, I might leave the one I have on it for now. Front clip is perfect on this truck too. Its a two tone paint and will look good. Pulled out and stored all interior parts(too bad seat was taken) truck only has 73000 miles on it and I even pulled carpet to go back original in mine. I believe I have 4.10 gears and I am thinking about putting parts truck rear axle and a matching gear set up front for better mileage. Here the pics, boring thread without em. More I learn about these the more I realize I have a Heinz 57. Intercooled motors came out in 91.5, steering wheel in it appears to be 93. Whatever the hell it is I like it, got the doors and fenders moved over today along with wheel well on one side that was banged up. Interior is pulled out. Start on bed tomorrow and pulling the windnshield and back glass out. Gonna leave the paint alone except for hood and a spot on one fender. Both hoods are great condition, just both need paint bad. Once I put that good windshield in a nice hood will be nice. Parts truck is two tone so I will pick up that darker gray paint to shoot the hood. bhawk

post-11955-138698197489_thumb.jpg

post-11955-138698197501_thumb.jpg

post-11955-138698197513_thumb.jpg

post-11955-138698197523_thumb.jpg

post-11955-138698197533_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Got all my body parts moved, new instrument cluster and doors that shut right and all kinds of stuff. Getting 17mpg with 4.10 gears with 3.15 tires and have a 3.5 I could put in the rear and update gear sets in the front. What would be reasonable to expect in mileage improvement and would it be worth my while. Bearings look good in the donor axle, checked them when I pulled the emergency brake cables out. My fuel guage wanders a bit but I heard adding another ground to the circut board to the body will fix that. Apparently bad ground issues affect the cluster guages a bit. Tires rub a little up front and it is 4 inches lower in the front. They have a 4 inch lift replacement leaf set that looks like it would be the ticket for around 190 each. The back axle has a block that must be 8 inches high but I like the height in the rear and would prefer to raise the front. I will put up some more pics as it does look much better with straighter tin.bhawk.

• Like 1

Cool lookin project! I love the simplicity of the early 12 valves, we had them in an air compressor and our small 27ton crane. Difference in mileage from 4.10s to 3.55 in my 2nd gen (Ive had both) is right around 2 mpg depending on how you drive. Love to see some pics!

• Like 1

Cool lookin project! I love the simplicity of the early 12 valves, we had them in an air compressor and our small 27ton crane. Difference in mileage from 4.10s to 3.55 in my 2nd gen (Ive had both) is right around 2 mpg depending on how you drive. Love to see some pics!

Thanks man, donor axe is real tight and bearings and gears show little wear. When I put the leaf springs in the front I will stick this rear axle in at the same time while I got it up. 2 miles a gallon adds up after a bit, was hoping it would be more but rebuilding the front 60's and knowing I got good one for the rear will save me a little coin not having to do the rear. I posted a shot of the new skin(got the 2wd emblems on the fender)still. You can see the color difference on the orange stripe on the cab. Kept the 4wd emblems, maybe when I paint it I will stick them back on.

- - - Updated - - -

I made some shackles this moring and put them on to level the truck, it was almost sitting on the stops anyway with the weight of the engine, heavy bumper and winch. I extended the bolt holes center to center by 3 inches. I may add a leaf later, but I needed to end the tire scratching and level it out some. It is still an inch lower in the front which is fine and no more noise and didnt hit my wallet too hard either. I listed a picture of the installed shackles and a picture before and after to see the difference. Tossed up a pic of my 24 valve for grins. 159,000 miles and as nice a 99 as I have seen in and out.

Bhawk

post-11955-138698198536_thumb.jpg

post-11955-138698198728_thumb.jpg

post-11955-138698198742_thumb.jpg

post-11955-138698198757_thumb.jpg

post-11955-138698198771_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, Doin the rear brakes tomorrow and if my partner has a nv4500 to rebuild I will go that route. If not I will redo the getrag and keep it overfull, whatever is going to be available and will find out tomorrow. Turned up the fuel screw two turn, star adjuster 2 and 2 on the smoke screw and rotated the pin. It gave me some umph but a little smokey and will try a custom fuel pin and back off the smoke screw a bit. Havin some fun with it for sure. That getrag is givin me issues and will be resolved shortly.