• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cracked head

No difference in 24v heads. Where is the head cracked at, it is not uncommon for heads to crack? How did they find the crack, magnaflux or ultrasonic x-ray? magnaflux isn't always a real good indicator, lots of good parts are thrown away dur to it, UTI testing is the best and most accurate way of looking for cracks.If it is truely cracked I would find out where before looking for another one, there are non critical areas that would still deem it useful.

• Like 2

No difference in 24v heads. Where is the head cracked at, it is not uncommon for heads to crack? How did they find the crack, magnaflux or ultrasonic x-ray? magnaflux isn't always a real good indicator, lots of good parts are thrown away dur to it, UTI testing is the best and most accurate way of looking for cracks. If it is truely cracked I would find out where before looking for another one, there are non critical areas that would still deem it useful.

He said in the exhaust valve area. Not sure how they checked it but I am going to stop in and have him show me where and how they found it.

I found a local shop that can do more checking on the head. Said they can even pressure test it. If I do need a new one the can get new cummins (not rebuilt) with all the valves for around $1800 which isn't bad compared to most rebuilds.

It is cracked on almost all the exhaust valve seats, into the combustion chamber. The second place said about what Napa did, it may not leak but will brobably get worse. It is very hard to find used ones in my area only ones I find are far away and no garantee they are good. Ordered a new one, should be here by next weekend.

I found a local shop that can do more checking on the head. Said they can even pressure test it. If I do need a new one the can get new cummins (not rebuilt) with all the valves for around $1800 which isn't bad compared to most rebuilds.

Whoa I'd go aftermarket at that price

Rebuilt aftermarket are around $1500 so I went with a new one.

For a bit more than the new one you can get some porting done as well ................. but I understand wanting a new one. :thumbup2: Going to do studs while its off ???? Or staying at the power your at ?

• 3 weeks later...

New head, studs, and rv275's installed! I could feel the extra power right away even on stock setting. One question I have is that my boost while at cruising speed seems lower than before but EGT is also lower. I think my old injectors were worn out and making the EGT higher. I get a little more smoke with edge turned up, but not other wise.