• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Winodws XP limitations

Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Well more and more I'm running into Windows XP limitations that cause issues. The biggest one is that most all software currently is produced for Windows XP SP2. this is the bare requirement to making windows XP working with other software. But you find that support for Windows XP is becoming extremely limited. Most software companies don't want to mess with a dieing horse so they putting there most effort and design power to Vista 64 Bit and Windows 7 64 Bit. Sad to say the days of 32 bit software is closing fast and dieing...:eek:

• 4 months later...

ok its an old threadbut wow - RAM and disk is so cheap now - I can't wait when I finally settle down in my house (travelling for next year) to fork out a few $$ and run a single laptop that weighs 3-4lbs with 8 GB RAM and multiple cores in a raid config (possibly cause my disk might be hybrid SSD or even better an external -iscsi device) - all wireless and with dual 22" screens - maybe even a couple VM's running different things with that much power/RAM to share. Then shut down and start up another VM. Take to any other system - start her up.and it might even be a MAC -> just crossed over - and I have to say that fact that its not WINDOWS ......... is nice.This is my wifes laptop -> so I promised her I wouldn't touch itBUT - insteadI took our old 32-bit laptop with 2GB RAM and installed Linux and OpenOfficeand guess whatWireless works (not quite there yet - had a few hiccups nut 9/10) word workspdf's work No compatability issues -> and the WHOLE setup was free ...... let me say that one more time ................... FREE :) And its LINUX - ...... no blue screen of death .................... no driver conflict issues ..................... its running well and much more configurable :):2cents:

• Owner

ok its an old thread but wow - RAM and disk is so cheap now - I can't wait when I finally settle down in my house (travelling for next year) to fork out a few $$ and run a single laptop that weighs 3-4lbs with 8 GB RAM and multiple cores in a raid config (possibly cause my disk might be hybrid SSD or even better an external -iscsi device) - all wireless and with dual 22" screens - maybe even a couple VM's running different things with that much power/RAM to share. Then shut down and start up another VM. Take to any other system - start her up. and it might even be a MAC -> just crossed over - and I have to say that fact that its not WINDOWS ......... is nice. This is my wifes laptop -> so I promised her I wouldn't touch it BUT - instead I took our old 32-bit laptop with 2GB RAM and installed Linux and OpenOffice and guess what Wireless works (not quite there yet - had a few hiccups nut 9/10) word works pdf's work No compatability issues -> and the WHOLE setup was free ...... let me say that one more time ................... FREE :) And its LINUX - ...... no blue screen of death .................... no driver conflict issues ..................... its running well and much more configurable :):2cents:

I've play with Red Hat Linux a few time I love the idea no need for virus protection and firewall... It just rock solid. But not really world compatible though...

Jeez my wifes old windows 98 computer is still chugging along just fine yet. Doen't use it for internet use too much for sppeed issues but as for office computer it still gets the job done.

That what my old AMD 800 MHz lapto for... Non-internet functions. It does a awesome job as a stand alone machine as long as you never hook it to the internet...

I use FREE Linux Mint, and I installed FREE Sun VirtualBox, I can install windoze inside of Vbox for those moments that its got to be windoze :cry: Or I can install wine and run windoze apps right off the Linux Gnome desktop with out a VM. So no one is totally stuck with windoze. Hopefully cloud computing soon will seal the whole deal?

• Owner

Funny... That is my number repair is fixing Win XP virus and worm attacks... :lmao2: What I'm finding out no matter what you use for Anti-virus or Firewall it doesn't stop them from coming through the browser and latching into the system without notice. Since MicroSoft stopped updating the software back in 2007 basically the Win XP is like a bucket full of holes it just leak in or out anything it want without notice ot the owner... At least Vista is rock solid... As for Windows 7 its got a few issues I see that are a problems. Like secuirty software now has a slider so owners can shut it off where Vista either had off and on. Well I'm seeing the same problem now on Win7 too. People are getting a annoyed with the notice box and sliding the slider all the way down to nothing so it doesn't pop up and BAM! Back to the leaky bucket problem...:rolleyes: I keep telling people put the slider back up and leave it alone... It ther for protection of your computer...

I found with windows, you should not check the box to allow it to install .exe files. That box is annoying but it is a good measure of security that you are making the decision to allow any installation any time. That is why Linux is so much secure, everything requires permissions. My son told me that Vista and 7 are moving in this direction as well.