• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

RV275's, 235VP, Fass DDRP...no programming

So recently I made a long road trip from Alberta, and outside of Williston, ND I got hit with a dying VP...right out of the blue too. lucky enough I made it to Minot and got some work done the next day...really lucky, due to the oilfield there...reminds me of home in Cold Lake.

Pretty sure it wasn't directly related to fuel at the moment it happened, because they got me into their garage there (at the Cenex) and we changed filters (mine were new, and I've got an inline BF1258 on the frame before it even gets to my canister (PF7977), I was using PS white...blah blaah blah...truck was recently purchased (it's a 2001 with 240k miles, had an airdog raptor, and a superchips on 1-which I put back to STOCK, as I'm just not that fond of being tuned.) Other than that everything else was stock and still is (except injectors), despite it's unknown history.

So my questions, now that my longwinded explanation is thru...just about...lol

Shop (could not do it myself due to weather which was stupid cold, and limited resources) put on the following...(and FYI they had it all on the shelf which influenced my decision because if not, I still had 2000 miles in two days to get to my Army base for a career course which I cannot miss ANY of.

1. Reman Bosch VP (I assume 235SO, cuz my truck is an auto) EDIT. It's for sure a 235 IPVR15X

2. Bosch RV275's

3. Fass DDRP

4. Low press warning light.

Yes I know a filter on the frame MAY add a tad of psi loss, but the DDRP actually came with a small filter, and I assume those can get plugged easy so I'm not convinced of the baldwin being an issue. if anything it might add some life to the DDRP...BTW, they didn't bother with that little thing.

I don't drive my truck hard, but I noticed today after just checking to see what would happen putting my foot to the floor what would happen...LED blinked so briefly that I wonder if it even came on.

SO, is this setup going to be OK for my use? I'm NOT going to program the truck at all with the Superchips and it's stock fueling...should I invest in the next year (when I recover from the financial hit) in a bigger FASS? How low does everyone go when they step on it with a similar setup? What can a VP take and am I pushing it?

EDIT, also noticed last week when we had -20f and I just couldn't plug in, that the led stayed on for a few seconds (usually goes out instantly), and that stupid cold aside, hasn't done it since...anyone else ever had that happen? How much of these thing can a VP take over its lifetime?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and if the quality of the parts of the shop are any question at all, it was Midland Diesel in Minot...which is also a fuel injection shop (guy there is Bosch trained and really good).

Derek

Ive not had any days of -20 since I put my DDRP on but I have noticed at subzero temps fuel pressure is a little slow coming up, I think its somewhat normal as long as it comes up to pressure within a few seconds. The Raptor is factory set at 14 psi I actually bumped mine up closer to 17-18 and even under heavy engine load doesnt drop below 14-15 psi. You definitely should get a fuel gauge so you know what your running, Im guessing your probably dropping down to around 10 or 11 psi under heavy engine load.