• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil leak NEED HELP!

First off im new to this site but ive found lots of useful info on here which has lead me to creating an acount. ok to begin i just rebuilt my vac pump, but im still getting a leak from that general area. i think its coming from the crankcase vent tube, i also noticed when i had the intercooler pipe off there was oil in there which makes me think my turbo is leaking? but would that make it come out of the vent tube? It only leaks out after driving a while. i checked for blow by today and didnt find any. i also saw that it smokes white out the vent tube. to add some more to it I re-oiled my K&N filter 3k miles ago and i think i might have used alittle much on it could that be whats in my intercooler? any help would be great! Thanks in advance.

First off im new to this site but ive found lots of useful info on here which has lead me to creating an acount. ok to begin i just rebuilt my vac pump, but im still getting a leak from that general area. i think its coming from the crankcase vent tube, i also noticed when i had the intercooler pipe off there was oil in there which makes me think my turbo is leaking? but would that make it come out of the vent tube? It only leaks out after driving a while. i checked for blow by today and didnt find any. i also saw that it smokes white out the vent tube. to add some more to it I re-oiled my K&N filter 3k miles ago and i think i might have used alittle much on it could that be whats in my intercooler? any help would be great! Thanks in advance.

When my Son brought his 99 home it had multiple leaks in this area. We rebuilt the vacuum pump first, then found a faulty repair in a transmission line that had been rubbing against the frame, and finally replaced the steering gearbox, PS pump, new lines a few weeks ago. This seems to have cleared up most of his issues. Oil in the intercooler is a potentially very serious situation. I have learned from some of the more experienced guys on this site that it could lead to a "runaway" situation.. So I would address that promptly. hopefully its just an over oiled air brteather.

Are you still running with a stock vent tube set up? If so, it is very common for oil to leak here. There are fixes to this situation and it should really be addressed. If not, your radiator and intercooler can get really gummed up on the outside and cause overheating issues. Mike, the site owner has a very cheap and easy way of getting rid of this problem. It is also normal to have a little bit of smoke coming out. Welcome to the forum by the way!!

- - - Updated - - -

Here is that vent tube fix.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/26-engine-systems/42-crankcase-vent-mod

Are you still running with a stock vent tube set up? If so, it is very common for oil to leak here. There are fixes to this situation and it should really be addressed. If not, your radiator and intercooler can get really gummed up on the outside and cause overheating issues. Mike, the site owner has a very cheap and easy way of getting rid of this problem. It is also normal to have a little bit of smoke coming out. Welcome to the forum by the way!!

- - - Updated - - -

Here is that vent tube fix.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/26-engine-systems/42-crankcase-vent-mod

still have the stock vent tube, the entire bottom of my truck has oil on it so its kinda what makes me think the fan is blowing oil all over from the vent tube. i am gona take a better look at tomorrow and check my intercooler and see if my turbo has any play.

quick update i took my intercooler boots off and looked around inside and saw bareley any oil inside of it which makes me think it was just over oiling my filter. I also checked my turbo and it has alittle up and down play but i think after i get my tax refund i might get an hx35/40 hybrid for $175. and i plan on doing the vent tube fix next weekend. thank you for all the help this is deffinetly the best site i have found!!!:thumbup2:

• Owner

Personally... I would high suggest you take that K&N out and throw it in the trash. Not a good filter at all. I've seen way too many good Cummins ruin with blow by problems because the K&N filter just wore the ring off the pistons which in turn now push more oil out the breather tube. http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/24-air-system/41-bhaf-big-honkin-air-filter

I was driving my truck to day and my check guages light came on when i came to a stop at a stop sign. My oil psi guage on the dash was jumping around and went to 0 psi then back to its usual spot. I used my quadzilla to check it and it said 8 psi idle with foot on the brake. So my question is it just the guage or sensor or worse? any help would be great.

is there a way i could use the k&n elbow with the bhaf?

I am sure you could just as long as you have the room for it. I don't know what the elbow looks like but the BHAF will take up a lot more room than the k+n filter does. Not sure about the oil pressure. I know some of the sensors aren't anything more than a pressure switch. As long as you have over 6psi, it will put a number up on the gauge. I put a mechanical gauge in mine because I don't trust the in dash oil pressure gauge.

I am sure you could just as long as you have the room for it. I don't know what the elbow looks like but the BHAF will take up a lot more room than the k+n filter does. Not sure about the oil pressure. I know some of the sensors aren't anything more than a pressure switch. As long as you have over 6psi, it will put a number up on the gauge. I put a mechanical gauge in mine because I don't trust the in dash oil pressure gauge.

Where could i get a mechanical guage from?

Personally... I would high suggest you take that K&N out and throw it in the trash. Not a good filter at all. I've seen way too many good Cummins ruin with blow by problems because the K&N filter just wore the ring off the pistons which in turn now push more oil out the breather tube. http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/24-air-system/41-bhaf-big-honkin-air-filter

Thats good information Mike. I was reading an article testing different filtration systems on 3rd gens. Their conclusions were that the stock system was good up to 500hp, and that the slight gains achieved with the K&N style filters was diminished when the stock cold air intake system is removed. So you wind up paying big bucks for little or no gain, and a shitty air filter to boot.

is there a way i could use the k&n elbow with the bhaf?

Yes you can its a little hard to get the filter over the k&n elbow all it takes is a little silicone. I have been runnin it for 25k that way now. I bought my truck with the k&n and the first thing I did was order a BHAF. The filter fit inside of the k&n shield its pretty close fit. My shield was hitting the shock tower so I just removed it.