• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I'm thinking about looking into a fourty foot weekend warrior toy hauler. It weighs probably twelve thirteen k and then another two thousand with all the bikes and such( est. ). Truck is an 01 qclb, 4x4 5 speed with overload springs single rear wheels. Oh and tentative trailer is three axle. Do you guys think that will work? I know there are trailer forums that have info but couldn't find anything that specifically talks about my truck.---2005 Weekend Warrior CL 4005 Toy Hauler--- - $19995 (NEW PRICE!!!) GREAT VALUE!!!2005 Warrior Mfg Weekend Warrior CL 4005 Toy Hauler Fifth WheelDouble Slide, Sleeps 6, Ultra Queen Bed Futon, Queen Bed, Wardrobe, Vanity, Shower Surround With Glass, Sofa Sleeper, T.V. Cabinet, 2 Swivel Rockers, Dinette, Stove, Refrig, Microwave, And More! Cargo Length 25'10Length 40'0" Hitch Weight 2,740 lbs Dry Weight 8,660 lbs Fresh Water Capacity 120 gals Grey Water Capacity 40 gals Black Water Capacity 40 gals Sleeps 6 Slides 1 Interior Color Green-------CALL PAUL FOR MORE DETAILS-------916-390-9007-------Price: $29,384You Save: $9,389Sale Price: $19,995-------Stock# 4929Dealer# 7099VIN# 008036

Ive had that kind of weight hooked to my 2500 a few times, I can tell you its more than the truck is built for. Toy haulers are heavy on the pin by design to compensate for whatever cargo you may be hauling in the rear, so if/when your hauling it empty it will be taxing the truck even more.

I would highly recommend a dually for loads like toy haulers, I have friends with 38' toy haulers and they use 3/4 ton single wheels but take things real slow, you blow a single rear tire with that kind of load isn't a good thing not to mention you will have a lot more and faster tire wear on the rears with that kind of load.

My ToyHauler is bumper tow. 30 foot. It is definately nose heavy... coming home with the black water full (I was able to water the pasture with the grey water before departing) is a 500# weight shift. My mobility scooter is not as heavy as the designed ATVs... Can't move the axles to improve balance so I'm actually thinking of adding ballast to the rear! With so much hitch weight, beyond the capabilities of the WDHitch, it is a bear to keep it between the lines. Steering control is reduced. Now the trailer you are looking at is substantially bigger. Higher GVW. I've towed heavy horse trailers... my gooseneck puts way too much weight on the truck but still towed it fine because the weight was centered on the rear axle. I got rid of my fifthwheel before I got the Dodge, but that was a 28' including the gooseneck & well ballanced. My single rear C30 (rated 9000 GVW) towed it like there was nothing back there at all. The hitch becomes very important. I don't care for the sliding hitches. Mine are/were all 8 foot beds with the hitch either centered over the rear axle or even a couple of inches forward of center. The book will probably tell you dually. There's no way to know for sure what it would be like on a single rear wheel.

Like stated a 3/4 ton will pull it fine but safely handling it will be another story. Also when I said Ive hauled that much weight it was on a flat bed trailer not a 40' kite like your looking at. That big ol surface area will have your rear eating your shorts on the freeway at higher speeds, on windy days and everytime a tractor trailer passes by you. A dually would be a much safer and more stable option, not to mention legal. Depending on how your truck is setup and what all youve got loaded in it the max legal pinweight can be as low as around 1500 pounds or maybe even less in some instances with a 2500. You would have to load your truck up just like you would when hauling your rv and go have the axles weighed individually to see what you would be legal to tow.On the description sheet it states dry weight at 8600 lbs, but your saying fully loaded it will weigh around 13k with no atv's in the back?

• Owner

Question what is the GVW?That pin weight is going to be dry weight so the pin weight is typically 20-23% of GVW. You might consider the weight ratings of your truck vs. the trailer. I know ol' CajFlynn is a towing guru of sorts here. But he's got the luxury of adjusting the boats on the trailer to get the hitch weight where he wants it. 40 foot is quite long and going to be difficult to tow with a SRW 3/4 ton. I'm not saying it won't do it but its going to tug and pull more. My 31' Jayco can make my 02 Dodge dance a bit on a windy day.

Right on thanks guys. So safety first. Sounds like ill look at a smaller situation. That toy hauler did sound sweet though. I mean up town!! The gvw I stated was high cause I did find trailer forums that state generally all the toy hauler weight is based on what you wish it was I guess. I mean that honker can't way that little.

• Owner

For use 02 Dodge's we are limited to a trailer weight of about 13,400 or so. (Owner manual will list them all).When shopping for a RV...* Use the GVW of the trailer skip the dry weight and stated pin weight. Because these two numbers are too low and not real. I don't think you would buy a RV and tow it around totally empty would you? So its best to use the GVW rating and calculate a roughly pin weight so you can fit it to your truck properly.* As for the RV interior. I suggest you play house for a few house in the RV with your whole family if possible. Lay in the beds, use the bathroom (to see if you fit), try cooking a imaginary meal, or just hang out in the living room. I went from RV to RV and alway found something that didn't fit. Some beds are too short for me. Some bathrooms are so small I could whack elbows just getting dressed or taking a shower. Remember this is going to be your new home and it not like you can remodel it to fit you so make sure it fits the family before laying down the cash. Then look over the RV for maintenance things. Ask the dealer about wheel bearing, brakes, etc.* As for the truck. hitching a RV either 5th wheel or travel trailer takes some consideration. I would highly suggest that all truck should have gauges before towing (Boost, pyro, fuel pressure, trans temp {if auto}). Make sure to upgrade any weakness in the truck like lift pump, auto trans upgrades, etc.